Need Rock Sliderz

rajin cajun

Adventurer
I have a gen2 Montero SR and wish to purchase rock sliders. I reside in New Mexico and have found two retailers. 4crawler in California and rocky road supersliders in utah.

Does anyone have a recommendation, 4crawler has the square type tubing, but Rocky-road has the circular tubing which i really like. There has been alot of bashing on the Tacoma forums concerning Rocky-road.

Recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

rajin cajun

SoCalMonty

Explorer
The theory on circular tubing for sliders (nerf bars) is that the round tube will crush at the site of impact, and will then prevent you from "sliding." A boxed or square tube, though, will hold it's shape and not crush as easily, so the surface stays flat and you can "slide" easier.

In either case, your rockers are protected, but there is that small added chance that a round tube may crush and prevent you from "sliding" and that might, in rare cases, lead you to get stuck or cause more trouble.

In practice, I doubt it happens often...but I prefer the smaller size of the square tubes and the way they fit up closer to the body...leaving more ground clearance overall.

I've got the 67" trailgear rock sliders made for the Toyota Tacoma. It required welding to my frame, but they are strong as hell. I've slammed down full force on mine and no dents. They are made of .120 wall DOM. They are thick and heavy. I've got the additional "bump outs" which help push away from rocks and rotate around them.

The circular design is more efficient as there is less slider to rock contact surface area, resulting in less friction and more sliding!

revebaty.jpg

uvagupun.jpg

Last edited:

off-roader

Expedition Leader
Had 4crawler and I would recommend them however, IIRC theyre only sold as a kit of precut square tube and you end up assembling and welding them together then you can install them. Hopefully Roger's changed that since I last checked. Because of this I've gone with the trailgear sliders instead.

jeep-N-montero

Expedition Leader
I recommend the trail gear as well, I know many Toyota guys who beat theirs regularly without issue and will be ordering mine soon.

off-roader

Expedition Leader
The Trail Gear sliders are nice for a variety of reasons...
1) Inexpensive
2) DOM tubing
3) Fit a LWB Montero
4) Customizable angle/mounting
5) Strong (enough)
6) Did I mention inexpensive? ;)

There are some downsides...
1) NEED a welder to install
2) Made in China versus domestically sourced
3) Limited in what you get design wise... i.e. it's not a custom set of sliders which you might want tailored to your specific wheeling needs. For example, I would have preferred 1/4" thick 2x2 square hitch tube material and an easily removable setup. I guess I could have modified their design to make it removeable but then it would have cost as much to just have a local fabricator make one that way from the start.

Inyo_man

Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining.
I referenced Rocky-road in my first post.

I've also heard a lot of people bash Rocky-Road Outfitters.
However, I am running their Super-Sliders on my Gen. III and have had nothing but a positive experience.
Product was affordable, delivery was timely, the product was easy to install, and they work great on the trail.
I also like supporting USA manufactured products.
(Just one person's experience.)

SoCalMonty

Explorer
You know, it kinda depends on your wheeling, too! I didn't have sliders on either of my Monteros, and I had only dented a rocker once on a pretty serious rock crawling trail in the Gen1. Same thing so far in the Gen2...I've only hit a rocker once, and it was on a pretty serious rock crawling trail dug out by SWB's on 35's.

So if you do mostly expedition style wheeling/dirt roads as opposed to rock crawling, I really wouldn't consider them a necessity. I've become a bit of a weight weenie when I pack for trips, and to play devil's advocate - while sliders may occasionally be nice, they would reduce my rocker/ground clearance by 2", and add...what...80 lbs to the truck?

I don't know...something to think about. I think about buying them over and over but I just don't do enough serious rock crawling to warrant the purchase. YMMV!

Mrknowitall

Adventurer
Most of the gripes with Rocky-road seems to be about delivery times. In matters involving ARB/OME products they sell, it's mostly about getting the stuff from OZ, so if your order isn't on the shelf, it could be a WHILE.
With their in-house stuff, it seems to be well made, but again, some people have experienced annoying wait times. Thy build stuff in batches and then send it out for powder coat. That is a little slow, but saves money. The nice part about their sliders is that they really do fit well, can be had with or without tubes and are made in America. All for a reasonable price.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior