Need some Advice - Getting a camper for 2011 Tacoma TRD Off Road

rascalbonnes69

have been throughly researching this site and thank you to everyone who posts i have learned a great deal. First time posting
I am wondering what truck upgrades you recommend with a camper?

i have a 2011 toyota tacoma trd off road all stock (with towing package - towing 6400 lbs and 1250 lbs payload)

I wish to get a used Import camper (Its All I can Afford - pop ups in my area are hard to find but many hard tops are available).

As a background i go camping (tent camping as of now) about 12-15 times a year (i'm sure with a camper i will go more)., mainly off road logging camping sites in British Columbia.
campers on CL range in weight 800-1000lbs. My trips are 400km to 1600km round trip. 90% are 400km round trips. and usually 2 days. but max a week.
I also tow a 12 foot aluminum fishing boat with 9.9hp motor with 60-80lbs tongue weight. I plan on filling up propane/wood/gas/water near camping site to reduce wear and tear and improve drivability on the road. I will keep my speed 80-110kmph. I live in the rocky mountains so moderate roads and some serious hill climbing.
My truck is used 95% as a daily commuter and 5% for a camping fishing fun.

I figure i can get weight to as low as 1400-1700lbs payload fully loaded and wet (includes family me gf and dog = 400lbs, camper 800-1000lbs , [gear,gas,water,propane] 300-400lbs ect)
Recommended according to manual - truck Payload = 1250lbs
So I am obviously over GVWR. but up on further investigation essentially everyone who camps is over GVWR...
(after going to the scales this weekend with my camping gear without a camper i was 350lbs under payload, i will be able to get rid of some of this weight with a camper- tent, mattress, tonnue cover, tailgate ect.)

I am wondering what truck upgrades you recommend with a camper?

I was planning on these immediate upgrades before i get the camper:
1. Firestones riderite air bags
2. Tork-Lift camper frame mounts and tie downs.

Then in 1-2 years when my P265/70R16 BFGoodrich tires wear out I will upgrade to LT265/70R16 "D" rated tires.

do i require any further upgrades or do i have my bases covered?
Do You think i will be OK?
i dont wanna bend or destroy the truck.

do you recommend getting the supersprings as well???
or any kind of truck bed reinforcement?
or will I be OK?

I know this is possible because i have been talking with a neighbour who has a 900lbs camper and regularly takes 4 men camping in it. he had an 96 tacoma and now a 04 tacoma. and only the rear suspension done. and states he has no problems.
Im not rich, i don't want to wreak my truck. but i see ppl with big setups on their Tacoma's. so any advice ideas are appreciated.

thanks so much. Trevor

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior