Need some help with my 2.5 Gen Montero

Alabama4WD

First off,
Let me give you all a brief introduction. After searching two years for a 4x4 SUV and nearly purchasing an 03' LR Disco, I drove a 2.5 gen Montero down in Orlando and fell in love. I live in the northern part of AL so not many monteros made it to my area. Of course, there is an abundance of the montero sports. I talked to a local car dealer and had him buy one from an auction. It is a 1998 3.5L Mitsubishi Montero 176k. Paid more than I should have, around 3k. It is in great shape for its age and milage. Taken in out a few times to test the lockers and 4x4. Before buying it, I knew it would need some basic work (plugs, valve cover gaskets, timing belts,etc.) I ordered the new spark plug gaskets, spark plugs, and vc gasket with the intention of replacing them. However, upon opening the hood after hours of searching for tutorials :mixed-smiley-030: , I still can't seem to remove the air intake manifold that stands between my greasy hands and those damn gaskets. I have the shop service manuals, but the diagrams really haven't helped. I want to avoid the $600 repair bill. This truck is a remarkable piece of engineering, but I'm also nervous about a mechanic rushing things. :safari-rig:I'll put some pics up of my rig if you want.

KarmannMarco

Adventurer
3K isn't to much for a 2.5 in great shape IMO considering how much truck you are getting for the money.
You should also consider doing a timing belt/water pump and valve stem seals while your at it.
I just did this job on my 96 SR and it's very time consuming.
Just take your time and document everything you/take pictures.
I though it was pretty straight forward just labor intensive.

off-roader

Expedition Leader
Agreed on pricing being fair. Also, if you have access, ensure your engine has the most current crank bolt installed. Older versions had a tendency to fatigue and break pre-maturely.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mitch Bears