Need to find solar parts in Baja!!!

beneng_jr

Currently traveling in Baja and didn't have time to real-life test my solar system before leaving, need to find a place that sells 12v panels in the 100-200w range and maybe someone that can help 'rig' something into the IGN port of a Renogy DCC30S- left that cable at home, didn't realize I have a smart alternator in my 2015 GMC Canyon...

Last edited:

WanderingBison

Ask around one of the towns for a mail/freight forwarder.

Then you can order from the US (including Amazon if you’re so inclined) for delivery in San Diego and have it brought to Baja for pick-up.

A couple of players make pick-ups in San Diego multiple times a week and bring packages back to their store fronts.

Never used them that way but used them for a Starlink delivery last winter.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

NatersXJ6

Explorer
Disclaimer: Internet advice is worth what you paid for it. If you break off the prong you’re on your own!

While having the “right” conversion terminal as shown in the Renogy manual is certainly beneficial, you shouldn’t “need” it. Any standard 1/8” or even 1/4” spade terminal (female side) should be able to grip that prong with a slight crush from a needle nose to get it tight. You could also likely get it to work with an alligator clip or by soldering or jamming it full of aluminum foil, but I would go to someone that installs speakers and get a 1/8” female spade connector.

beneng_jr

Disclaimer: Internet advice is worth what you paid for it. If you break off the prong you’re on your own!

While having the “right” conversion terminal as shown in the Renogy manual is certainly beneficial, you shouldn’t “need” it. Any standard 1/8” or even 1/4” spade terminal (female side) should be able to grip that prong with a slight crush from a needle nose to get it tight. You could also likely get it to work with an alligator clip or by soldering or jamming it full of aluminum foil, but I would go to someone that installs speakers and get a 1/8” female spade connector.
Ah, good idea with the spade terminal. So far I've wadded up some 16awg and shoved it in the terminal, it kinda made click and seems to stay in place- put some electrical tape over it to help. Wedged the other end into the f47 fuse under the hood. Neither fell out on a drive from El Pescadero to Todos Santos and back just now, but also never dropped below 12.7v to see if to worked...

Cent

Observer
I don't know why everyone is no negative here.

I bought 2 panels and an mppt solar charge controller plus cables and stuff in Ensenada in 2018 from a very knowledgeable guy - don't remember which business it was but a quick search on google maps shows about 10 results that look promising.

Never had an issue with my solar setup, everything was fine and worked as expected - they sell the same stuff as everyone in the US and Europe, no quality issues whatsoever.

Hope that helps.

gnel

You might want to talk to these guys? If they don´t deal with 12v systems they´ll probably know who does.

beneng_jr

I don't know why everyone is no negative here.

I bought 2 panels and an mppt solar charge controller plus cables and stuff in Ensenada in 2018 from a very knowledgeable guy - don't remember which business it was but a quick search on google maps shows about 10 results that look promising.

Never had an issue with my solar setup, everything was fine and worked as expected - they sell the same stuff as everyone in the US and Europe, no quality issues whatsoever.

Hope that helps.
Thanks- I'm too
You might want to talk to these guys? If they don´t deal with 12v systems they´ll probably know who does.

Yep- went there yesterday and they had smaller 12v (50w, 100w, 150w) in stock and reasonably priced but mostly focus on home installation. Owners a gringo which helped since my Spanish is bad, she mentioned there is a marine place in La Paz that might have more of what I'm looking for. Given that there is only 5 solar hours this time of the year, I'm skipping panels and focusing on rigging the IGN port on the Renogy, prob disconnect the existing panel (or find a switch to splice in) so I can get the full 30a from it instead of 15a when panels are attached. Got wires jammed in now, but will look for spade connecters on the road today- gotta go through Cabo so shouldn't be a problem at the autozone there.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior

Members online