New camera question.

I Leak Oil

Expedition Leader
I finally got myself a real camera. No more cell phone pictures or point and shoot stuff for now. It's a Cannon Rebel T5i, came with both a 55mm lense and a 250mm lense. Did not come with a memory card. So my question is what is the best choice for this camera?

mtnbike28

Expedition Leader
How often will you download the card? I like 8-16GB and frequent downloads, for a longer trip, I bring extra cards. More important to me, I only use Lexar and SanDisk only.

I Leak Oil

Expedition Leader
That's interesting. Why the lower GB cards vs a 32?
Also, what is the difference as it relates to the camera of the SD or SDHC?

mtnbike28

Expedition Leader
The egg thing. I have had a card go bad (they all do eventually) but I don't want to lose all my images. I am also very good at my system - I never format/shoot over a card and have never lost one (knock on wood)

TripLeader

Explorer
The size is not the only consideration. I'd get one with a higher speed, depending on what you're going to do with your camera.
-----
There's speeds of 2, 4, 6, 8, & 10. The lower speeds are suitable for point and shoot cameras. The higher speeds are better for HD video. You probably don't need 10 unless you're doing some semi-professional video stuff.
-----
I recommend you get at least a 6.

Christophe Noel

Expedition Leader
The write-speed is important for certain types of shooting. If you shoot video or even a lot of high-speed continuous still shooting the write-speed will offer the best performance. I don't shoot video, but I do a lot of transfers from my SD cards to a portable hard drive and the cheap/slow cards take forever to transfer images.

I tend to shoot on only 32 and 64 GB cards. I actually like having all of my images in one place - on my camera. Not that I can't take care of a small wallet full of cards, but I know I take care of my camera and the card within. However, I back up my images every day to my My Passport Wireless hard drive, and the real keeper images I backup to the cloud if WiFi is available, or my 64GB phone if not. I find having my images only stored on different cards...makes me nervous.

Lately I've been using Sony cards and they've been great.

And, always carry a spare. People do report of bad cards now and then. Another reason to shoot, check your images, shoot, check your images, shoot...

Last edited:

nwoods

Expedition Leader
I 100% endorse what Christophe wrote. I cycle between two or three 64gb Lexmark class 10 cards in my Canon 7D

verdesardog

Explorer
I have an 8gb pny sd card that has been in my D40 since the camera was new. I download and format exclusively in camera. It has not had any problems in the probably 10 years that I've been using it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mitch Bears