New driving and fog lights??

Capt Eddie

Adventurer
I would like some input on a good brand of lights to put on a truck with a camper. I see alot of Hella and Piaa. Are they better quality then Warn? I have had Warn 6 inch stainless steel for 15 years, no problems. Their new style cost > $350. Is this the cost of other brands? I want 100 watt minimun. Like I said these lights are about 15 years old, has technology improved that much??

madizell

Explorer
I like the build quality of the Hella 4000, which I use with the Euro beam, but I prefer the light output of the 8" KC Hilites with the driving beam. The beam patterns are quite similar. Both have lamps in the 130W range, both are about the same size lens, both are round which tends to maximize light output. Both are under $300 a pair. As I recall, the Hella did not come with a wire loom for installation, but the KC's did, so by the time you add the wiring accessories to the Hella price per pair, it works out about the same either way.

If you are considering upgrading a light like this to HID, the Hella is a better candidate due to housing construction and depth. The KC unit can be purchased in HID, but the HID version adds a body ring to the housing to make it deep enough to take the HID bulb. Without the ring, the standard halogen housing would be too shallow for the HID installation. The Hella is already deep enough. I see no real differences otherwise between the HID and halogen lens and reflector assembly in the 8" KC units.

I don't use fog lamps, so someone else will have to give their opinion on those.

chuck45

Observer
I have PIAA fog lights and really like them. There are times I'm out at night in the winter when it's snowing and I turn the headlights off and run the PIAA's and marker lights. They provide the best visability.

vengeful

Explorer
chuck45 said:
I have PIAA fog lights and really like them. There are times I'm out at night in the winter when it's snowing and I turn the headlights off and run the PIAA's and marker lights. They provide the best visability.

When I lived in NY, I would do the same thing. The recessed fog lights in the bumper were shielded from glaring back into my face on the falling snow.

I actually drove from Toronto to Syracuse via Buffalo with no headlights in a snow-storm one night. My $14.99 Amber Fog Lights from ***-Mart lit the way very well. Customs asked my why I didn't have my headlights on. Told him, I didn't want to blind him as I pulled into the booth. :bike_rider:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mitch Bears