New floor...or more?

jgilbreath

Observer
My father-in-law's utility trailer has been sitting in my backyard for the last two years, and sitting at his cabin before that. I never really had a use for it before, but now that I sold my Tacoma for a 4runner it will be nice to use it as a utility trailer. I will also be using it for family camping trips to haul gear and bikes. Within the next year I would like to purchase a RTT and mount some removable crossbars for mounting the RTT (no lid in the plans). So this weekend I started working on the trailer to get it ready for use. The wood floor was rotted and the metal around where the wood was is rusted pretty good. It doesn't really have a frame to speak of. The sheet metal sides are L shaped at the bottom and the bottom of the L is where the leaf springs, crossbeams (angle iron), and hitch all connect (doesn't seem very strong).
So for the questions:
1. Would it be best to weld in an internal frame of 2x2 along the bottom of the L and 2x2 crossbeams to support the new floor? or
2. Use the existing structure of the L shaped lip and angle iron crossbeams to support the new floor? or.....
3. Build an all new square tube frame and cut the rusted bottom of the L shaped sheet metal sides and then just use the sheet metal to re-skin the new frame?
4. New floor from 16ga metal or marine grade plywood?

Trailer.jpg

ezzzzzzz

Observer
IMHO, it would be easy (and cheap) to derust, paint and lay down a sheet of marine ply. It will stiffen up just fine and support upwards of 500lb-700lb most likely based on the leaf spring I can see. That would provide a functional trailer for a variety of tasks besides camping. Build yourself a camping/offroad trailer at your leisure as time and money allows.

jgilbreath

Observer
The marine ply is the direction i am leaning. My concern is that the angle iron crossbars are slightly bowed and I'm not sure they will provide great support for a new wood floor. That is why i was thinking of welding in a new floor frame with square tube, then adding a metal floor.

skersfan

Supporting Sponsor
Most of it looks like surface rust. Not normally worth all the effort you are talking about. Plus it will get a lot heavier. If you are concerned about strength, go with 1 1/8 plywood. Clean it up as best you can. If it is truly rusted to non use, trying to weld it will be a major PIA. The only part I would be concerned about is the where the wall meets the floor and the frame in that area.

jgilbreath

Observer
I've decided to go with plywood floor for weight and $ savings. It will get multiple coats of oil based exterior paint to help seal it.
Next up is fenders. I will be putting 30 to 31" tires. All the fenders i have looked at online seem too small for that size. Recommendations? Thinking of building some out of angle iron, square tube, and sheet metal, sturdy enough to sit on.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Breezy78