New GM square body guy on board

trbon8r

image.jpg

Hello,

I've been lurking around this forum for a long time and it's way past time for me to register. My ride is a rust free '91 GMC Suburban V1500. Its got a tired oil leaking 6.2 diesel that makes mysterious noises. I've got a known good running 6.2 motor out of a military HMMWV that is ready to go in when I get time. I've also got a brand new Banks turbo kit stashed away that will be going on. On the plus side the previous owner was kind enough to swap in a rear 14 bolt free floater and 10 bolt front out of a 3/4 ton pickup with 4.10 gears.

This truck was purchased from the west coast and delivered by a truck driver named Boris. So naturally my wife has named the truck Boris. Pretty appropriate since Boris is temperamental as an old Russian after too much vodka. :)

I've been accumulating lots of parts for this truck and look forward to starting a build thread soon. Thanks and glad to be here!

Last edited:

jscusmcvet

Explorer
Welcome! Nice Burb you have there... any idea about lift and tire size? How does it drive with the 4.10? Reason I ask is mine also has the 4.10 and I am contemplating a lift and moving up to 33's. And... where did you find the 6.2 that you are going to put in?

John

trbon8r

Hey John. Thanks for the compliments on the truck. It needs a lot of work, but the body and frame are in great shape and all the parts are there.

With the 4.10 gears, 700R4 trans, and stockish 31" donuts, the truck runs ok. The factory normally aspirated 6.2 is no powerhouse, but I don't think I would notice the difference in a 33" tire much at all. The truck is already slow. :) A 35" tire, yeah I'm pretty sure that would be noticeable with 140 big bad rear wheel horsepower. :smiley_drive: I think the Banks turbo kit will make a huge difference which ads 60 HP and takes output to around 200 RWHP and 400 LBS torque at the rear wheels. I'm not towing anything, just hauling gear and trying to find a good combination of low end power, mileage, and cheap/easy to maintain.

I'm planning on a 6" ORD lift with the ORD custom springs, shackles, and frame brace. I hear the ORD springs ride great and offer the best wheel travel. As far as tires go, if I had any sense I would probably be fine with a 35" tire, 4.10 gears, and the Banks turbo. But man a Suburban with a 37X12.50 tire just seems to provide that little bit extra ground clearance. Not sure though, the 37s may be a bit too much and may well require me to go to 4.56 gears to be happy with the truck.

If you are looking for 6.2 engines take a look on Ebay at Ted's Trucks in Alabama. They sell low mileage military 6.2 engines that have been run on a stand and tested for compression and oil pressure. Have a good one!

jscusmcvet

Explorer
Thanks for the info on the 6.2. My 350 is running well, but someday instead of a rebuild I would like to go to the 6.2. I don't need HP or towing, but mileage, durability, etc... I also have 4.10 gears and the 32" tire size was stock on the 2500's. I will throw 33's under there next time around. I put the ORD frame brace on as part of my "steering rehab" project. That and a borgeson steering shaft and the Burb drives better than new (I expect). I had no expectation that the brace would help with the wandering nature or the steering but it did help firm things up a bit.

John

trbon8r

John, I've seen the thread on your truck. Very nice! I wish mine was as clean.

I bet yours being a factory 2500 has the 3 speed auto trans, correct? If anything I bet a larger tire would tame the RPMs on the highway a little and make the truck a little more highway friendly.

arveetek- Thanks for the welcome!

jscusmcvet

Explorer
John, I've seen the thread on your truck. Very nice! I wish mine was as clean.

I bet yours being a factory 2500 has the 3 speed auto trans, correct? If anything I bet a larger tire would tame the RPMs on the highway a little and make the truck a little more highway friendly.

arveetek- Thanks for the welcome!

Thanks! Actually it is a 4 speed overdrive the 4l80. Only year for the square body to get it.

Woofwagon

Adventurer
I have never been much of a GM guy, but I love how simple these square bodies are to work on. The cavernous body on these things allows me to load a lot of gear for camping and rock hounding trips.

Bojak

Adventurer
Love your ride. Nothing beats a square in my opinion. Even square fords are cool. Look forward to seeing what you do with your project. Love to see more pics of boris if you got them.

chilliwak

Expedition Leader
Welcome to the site Trbon8r! You did the right thing by posting a pic of your rig. Now we all just want to see more. I am looking forward to seeing what you do to that fine:drool: `Burb´ Cheers, Chilli..:)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taunger