New Here - 93 Ford Bronco build

Keith_Indy

Observer
Hey everyone, new here, been lurking for a while though. I've been slowly building my 93 Ford Bronco into an all around off-road capable vehicle. Plans are for camping, off-roading, and traveling across the country.

So far, I've got the following done:

4" extended radius arm lift, w/ new coils and leaf springs
33" x 12.5" BFG M/Ts
Bilstein 5000 series shocks
Rear Detroit Locker
All new stainless steel brake lines (original lines had rusted through)
DIY cargo rack in cargo area
Broncoair front winch bumper w/ T-Max 12,000lb winch
Dual Optima yellow tops
DIY battery tray
Powermaster 200 AMP alternator
Custom 2 guage battery cables
Cobra CB & firestik antenna

Here's a picture w/ the tires but before any work was done.

bronco_1.jpg

Here's a picture of the front bumper, w/ hi-lift jack recently attached. Biggest problem with this so far, is finding a place for some tow hooks on the bumper. I know, I've got shackles, but when you just need a quick pull, having to undo the shackle takes that extra bit of time.

IMG_2101.JPG

Here's a picture of the batteries, tray and cabling. I'll be adding a 200amp isolator for the batteries, aux power for the back, and some fusing for the batteries.

IMG_2102.JPG

Here's the rear cargo rack I made. A rolling cooler fits on the left side of the rack where the tool bag is currently. 4 MTM sportsmans dry boxes fit on the right side of the rack. Currently I have recovery gear, tools, and some spares/repair items in them. I also have a Smittybilt air compressor strapped down on the right side. This is just a proto-type/temporary solution, as when I get the rear bumper replaced, the spare tire will be mounted to it. I'll then be able to stretch the rack across the whole cargo area.

IMG_2104.JPG

Here is the drivers side rock slider/step I built. I'm generally pleased with how it turned out, but I'm going to be adding a backing plate for the step, and increase the step width by an inch or so.

IMG_2105.JPG

Future plans:
Rear winch bumper w/ dual swing out tire carriers - during our first and so far only outing we blew one tire, and later blew the spare tire. The problem has been fixed, a bolt on the sway bar disconnect was to long, and when turning to the left, w/ a bounce in the suspension it was digging into the tire, but I'm a big fan of multiple spares now.

Larger cargo rack w/ slide outs for cooler/fridge, slide out drawers

Auxiliary power in rear - starting to collect parts to put a couple of 12 volt outlets and an inverter in the back

Custom console

Adventure trailer

Last edited:

12husky

Adventurer
Good to see another fullsize Bronco on here getting used. I am still a few years before I can get mine back on the trail. Keep us updated on the build.

Keith_Indy

Observer
Thanks for the compliments.

With this rig, I've only been to the Badlands, but I've been to Haspin Acres, & Redbird here in Indiana. Been to Paragon in PA, and out to Colorado.

Keith_Indy

Observer
Thanks

I have to admit, I've been coming at the Bronco first from a off-road wheeling aspect. Overlanding is a new concept to me. But I like the concept, and love the self-sufficient aspect of it. I've always wanted a Sportsmobile since I think I saw one in an issue of American Survival Guide back in the early 80's I guess. Always been into camping, and had a popup trailer for a while. Have always wanted to travel, take photographs, and write.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior