New M146 trailers!??!

CA-RJ

Expo Approved™
Man, that is way cool. For $2k you can get a full trailer minus wireing and axle. Add the AT air suspension, a lid and a nice axle and you'd be all set!

tag187

Observer
Very nice deal there. I am thinking I will need one for my willys I may just buy the tub from kaiser but Deutsche's is nice everything for just under 1700. I guess I will just have to see how much work I really want to put into one. Hmmmm.....:ylsmoke:

CA-RJ

Expo Approved™
I'm looking at one as a cheaper alternative to an AT trailer. I could get one of those, have a lid made and add a RTT for less than the price of a basic AT Chaser. Something to ponder for sure.

cruiseroutfit

Supporting Sponsor: Cruiser Outfitters
I'm looking at one as a cheaper alternative to an AT trailer. I could get one of those, have a lid made and add a RTT for less than the price of a basic AT Chaser. Something to ponder for sure.

Your comparing apples and oranges. While it is indeed an alternative to an AT, its no where near a comparable replacement all things considered. By the time you spend the money and time trying to make it one, believe me the price would be a wash. That's not to say you can't buy one of these trailers and build a stallar off-road ready unit with all the features you need, just that it won't be a Chaser anytime soon for less than the basic Chaser price ;)

tag187

Observer
I have to agree with cruiseroutfit here because while in one hand you can certianly build a nice trailer with a RTT for less than a AT, it still wont be anything near an AT and if thats ok with you and meets your needs great. Now on the other hand if you dive into a hardcore full trailer build add together research, devolpment, parts gathering, build time, labor and a slew of other things you can easily meet or even pass the cost of an AT. Personally I like to build and I feel I can build to meet my exact need (if I bought a trailer like an AT I would only end up modding it anway) so to me building makes sense. It's all in what you after.

tag187

Observer
Well I guess we will find out when I get my tub (I decided to just buy the tub and build the rest) but I am gonna hold off for a few months on it. I can say that I have bought many parts and products from Kaiser and all of which have been supurb in quality so I dont think the trailer tub will be anything less.

gpwpat

Adventurer
Yes, these are MD Wrong trailers.

It would be worth your while to find an origional. I have a coupel of MD wrong parts on one of my trailers. the landing leg and the piviot. as my origional parts were missing. I had to file and grind to get those parts to fit. then I had to enlarge the piviot hole to match the diameter of the bolt. they can't even make their own parts fit each other.

On a side note. I am using a MD wrong body tub on a WWII jeep I am restoring only because the jeep I have did not have the origional Ford script tub anymore. Even that is crap. I had to do many hours of work correcting it. even removing parts that were welded in the wrong position only to reweld them in where they were supost to be. I would have rather gotten the parts as a kit and built from scratch.

I will never do a tub from them again. I would rather restore an origional. atleast you know origional parts will fit.

my advice for a trailer. stick with an origional.

MD wrong is good for small parts on jeeps you can find. and you just need to get something. but as for sheet metal. yikes. how can a company get diminsions so wrong?

CA-RJ

Expo Approved™
I agree that it wouldn't be fair to compare the trailers side by side. A basic AT Chaser is $6k. For about $4k, I could get the other trailer, make a lid and mount a RTT. For most of what I do, I'm sure it would do just fine. The other thing is that for less than $2k, I can have a trailer that will haul my gear now. It might bounce a bit more on a dirt road but in the end it will get to where I'm going, haul my gear and provide a platform to mount my tent. I'm sure that AT is the best, but I may not need the best.

Your comparing apples and oranges. While it is indeed an alternative to an AT, its no where near a comparable replacement all things considered. By the time you spend the money and time trying to make it one, believe me the price would be a wash. That's not to say you can't buy one of these trailers and build a stallar off-road ready unit with all the features you need, just that it won't be a Chaser anytime soon for less than the basic Chaser price ;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vertical.dan