New OME Stabilizer has a dead spot...

vtsoundman

OverAnalyzer
Posted this on other forums, didn't get much response....Hoping folks can chime in here...

Anyone know if the dead zone / dead spot in OME steerinf stabilizers is common?

Dead zone / dead spot : place where shock provides no damping - usually in the middle of its stroke...

Just rcvd a new one from Qtec and I can move the shock back & forth ~0.2" w/o resistance (I can hear the oil squirt back & forth). This typically means the stabilizer is bad and defeats the purpose the damper...anyone else have this issue or notice the problem?

I'm running up against a time limit and want to know if I am wasting my time getting a replacement from Qtec or simply returning it on their dime. I went through several Ranchos that had a dead spot in 09 for my Jeep until I found one without a dead zone.

sent via the cone of silence

KMET

Adventurer
What size tire/lift combo?

That dead spot you speak of is likely do to geometry. Google about Currie Currectlync JK.

kojackJKU

Autism Family Travellers!
The dead spot is in the stabilizer shock itself...Not in the steering....

Just use the stock one. or, a teraflex unit. I installed a teraflex SS and it worked great. I had 60,000 kms on the teraflex unit without issue.

KMET

Adventurer
In fact, it is your steering angle. You've changed the stock geometry (Castor too) after swamping coils, plus you're putting too much faith (Stress) into steering dampeners.

(Relatively- Still needs maintenance) Problem free steering? Correct the steering angles and use adjustable upper & lowers. Just fixing your castor should improve steering feel.....

Good Luck!

chasespeed

Explorer
I'm pretty sure what he's saying, is, with the stabilizer in his hands, and compressing and extending it, there is a spot where no damping is happening.

Not even on the Jeep.

So, no, his geometry isn't the issue here.

I have a brand new one that does the same thing. And one that doesn't.

As far as what to tell you, I don't know.

Dampers have their place. I've driven plenty of vehicles without them. My Jeep is the first one that I've even bothered with a damper.

My 2 cents.... sorry it's not much help.

Chase

ReconH3

Heavy Duty Adventurer
Shouldn't do that. Means it wasn't purged properly or the gas piston used to eliminate this was not charged properly either. Send it back.

vtsoundman

OverAnalyzer
Thanks everyone. Spoke to OME and they confirmed it is likely bad. Already have a new one in route.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Smudge12