New Starter :)

Steve UK

Adventurer
Big Hello,

I could find no introductions forum so next stop is my fellow Land Rover owners, firstly I am British but after over a year of lurking various forums this forum really does make me feel at home with fellow like minded people.

My first 4x4 was a 1999 'tj' Wrangler, I bought this in 2003 totally standard and owned it for 6 years transforming it into a truck which could genuinely run 35" tyres including a home made 'flat tummy skid' jeepers will know what I mean, jeep just hang so low underneath. After this I realised I had a car which was totally useless for what I really wanted which was extended driving holidays (vacation) Overlanding.

Sold it and bought a 2000 Landrover Defender 90 with a TD5 engine. First thing which I noticed was the quality, the jeep was sooo much nicer but unfortunately no where near as practical.

I found an ex Portuguese Left hand drive with long range fuel tanks and a Discovery transfer box for lower revs at cruising speed. I have since fitted an internal/external roll cage, lots of storage, security guards on windows mainly so I don't put a window through from the inside and attaching bungee straps to. I home made some brackets to attach my Maggiolina tent directly to the roll cage which is nice ( killed two birds with one stone there, roll cage and roof rack in 1, same price too roof racks are bloody expensive and heavy )

The final modification was an Eberspacher heater finished this weekend, fitted into the centre console and with enough pipe work to reach the tent for winter camping.

I look forward to sharing my experiences whether travelling or modifying.

Oh yea, My names Steve I live in the UK and am an Engineering Technician. I have visited the USA many times over the last 20 years. In fact getting married in Vegas next summer as my buddy lives in L.A.) EDIT. Marrying 'Nicola' not my buddy :) )Most recent visit was to Pax River Naval base as our company is developing cool new engines for UAV's.

Steve

picture was taken on our first Landrover holiday to Italy over the Alps this August at the top of the Stelvio Pass approx 9000 ft.

exped.JPG

Last edited:

czenkov

Adventurer
Welcome to the group. You have a very nice LR. How much more drag is there with the tent fitted when you are at highway speeds? Noticeable? I am contemplating a similar setup on my Defender.
Here are mine.

Attachments

• IMG_3194.JPG
    IMG_3194.JPG
    833.7 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_3350.JPG
    IMG_3350.JPG
    656.2 KB · Views: 22
Last edited:

Steve UK

Adventurer
Oh great, you have 2. Very nice, the red one is similar to mine :)

edit; just read all you said

I never noticed the drag or any noise but I only ever drive at 100kph / 60 mph, for handling I have some airbags which fit inside the rear springs (US made I think) these are great as when it's unloaded I can return the spring rate to normal.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Smudge12