New to HAM and a few questions.

Clark White

Explorer
Well I just received my call sign, (KE7ZDX) :jumping: I tryed raising someone on the radio today, but didn't get any responses, oh well. I have an FT-7800R with a Diamond SG7900A antenna.

One question I have after reading the manuals and FCC regulations is extended frequency TX. I don't want to start a discussion on the legality of modifying your radio, I'm just curious why this is illegal on certain frequencies. The two I am most curious about are GMRS/FRS. I read the requirements for FRS/GMRS, and the 7800R meets all the requirements (5W or less, vertically polarized antenna) to transmit on those channels so long as you keep it on low power (5W). So why then am I not allowed to use my radio on those frequencies? Again, I am not looking to debate the legality of doing the modification, I am just curious as to the reasoning for it's being illegal since it sure would be useful if you could have one radio that will do the HAM, FRS/GMRS, and CB frequencies rather then having to carry three radios.

Clark White

obscurotron

Adventurer
My general understanding is that the way amateur gear is licensed and registered with the FCC means you can use amateur gear on amateur bands and any TX mods can be made, but not used, on amateur gear.

On the other hand, because of the licensing and registration requirements for commercial gear, you *can* modify commercial gear (i.e. older Motorola base stations) to TX on amateur freqs and use it for that purpose if all the other regs are followed.

ARRL has good articles about stuff like this, so if you have them as a resource (membership) take a look around. :)

Clark White said:
Well I just received my call sign, (KE7ZDX) :jumping: I tryed raising someone on the radio today, but didn't get any responses, oh well. I have an FT-7800R with a Diamond SG7900A antenna.

One question I have after reading the manuals and FCC regulations is extended frequency TX. I don't want to start a discussion on the legality of modifying your radio, I'm just curious why this is illegal on certain frequencies. The two I am most curious about are GMRS/FRS. I read the requirements for FRS/GMRS, and the 7800R meets all the requirements (5W or less, vertically polarized antenna) to transmit on those channels so long as you keep it on low power (5W). So why then am I not allowed to use my radio on those frequencies? Again, I am not looking to debate the legality of doing the modification, I am just curious as to the reasoning for it's being illegal since it sure would be useful if you could have one radio that will do the HAM, FRS/GMRS, and CB frequencies rather then having to carry three radios.

Clark White

gary in ohio

Explorer
Clark White said:

Clark White

The problem is the 7800 doesnt meet many if any of the FRS rules. FRS is 1/2watt, FIX antenna and must have fix non user changeable frequencies plus there are hundreds of other rules. GMRS has both 5watt and 50watt channels, Requires a license and it also has many rules. power and freq are just a small subset of the rules. People usually only look at the rules that affect the user not the rules that affect the radio manufactures. This is were most ham radio fail to meet other service specification. Radio's are certified to meet a specific set of rules for the environment/service they will be used in. The 7800 doesn't meet but a small subset of rules and isnt certified for FRS,GMRS or anything else.
Ham radio will doesn't require certification like GMRS does have a set of both USER and manufacture rules. You can take a certified radio and use it on the ham bands but you can take a non certified ham radio and use it on GMRS.

HenryJ

Expedition Leader
You can monitor the FRS and GMRS as well as other frequencies on your 7800. Then keep a small handheld around for transmitting if you need to communicate. The FRS/GMRS radios are cheap and nice to have a pair along for hiking or loaning out to a friend.

I loaded the FRS/GMRS frequencies, but there can be lots of chatter from the gas stations, and ATV riders. I don't scan many of them anymore. I keep an FRS mobile in my truck for when I need to use FRS.
Yes, I did say mobile. RadioShack made a mobile radio. The antenna is fixed to the radio and the radio mounts remotely via a mag mount The controls are on the mic and it plugs into the vehicles 12v power port. There must have been some FCC issues with these as they were discontinued. I think they meet the letter of the law, but sort of skirted the rules intent.
I picked up three when they were discontinued. $9 each. The other two are now in hands of friends.

Anyway, monitor if you wish, don't transmit on FRS/GMRS. Keep a pair of handheld FRS/GMRS around. They are great for everything from housework to vehicle communications.

nwoods

Expedition Leader
I've been looking high and low for one of those radio shack mobile FRS radios. They work great.

gary in ohio

Explorer
Radio shack was the only one to produce a "Mobile FRS" radio. Mobile is used very loosely with that radio. It was more of a waterproof radio with a long corded microphone. Here is a photo http://www.popularwireless.com/rs/21-1850.jpg This was a very early FRS radio and the FCC nixed the idea of a "mobile" and RS dropped the product. If you can find one grab it, they are nice units. I suspect if the radio came out now the FCC wouldnt say a word

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior