New to the group.

sgtmike3

Hi. Fairly new member here. I've been lurking and reading for a few weeks here thinking about my future build and getting some ideas. I'm planning on a expedition camper in the hopefully near future. I've not purchased anything yet as I still have not finalized any plans. What I'm wanting to do is build a basic camper that will work for my wife and I with the option for a couple friends as well. I know I'll need sleeping, cooking, food storage, shower/bathroom to make this acceptable for my wife (and me too). My initial thought was using a military M923A2 but the more I read here the more I like the FG. I'm not looking to overload a chassis with my build and I'm not against putting a pull behind on a chassis. I don't plan on a lot of overland travel and don't intend on leaving the lower 48. I can see us using this frequently on moderate and short trips for upwards of a week at a time.

A question that had come up is how large of a camper, dimensionally, can a FG chassis properly hold? I'm trying to keep my build as comfortable as possible and not feel cramped. I know the standard 5-ton trucks have 14' beds which I think is a little short for what I'm thinking about including.

I've really enjoyed the forum thus far and have been seriously impressed with so many of the innovative builds that are here.

Thanks in advance for any thoughts.

Mike

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

whatcharterboat

Supporting Sponsor, Overland Certified OC0018
Hi. Fairly new member here. I've been lurking and reading for a few weeks here thinking about my future build and getting some ideas. I'm planning on a expedition camper in the hopefully near future. I've not purchased anything yet as I still have not finalized any plans. What I'm wanting to do is build a basic camper that will work for my wife and I with the option for a couple friends as well. I know I'll need sleeping, cooking, food storage, shower/bathroom to make this acceptable for my wife (and me too). My initial thought was using a military M923A2 but the more I read here the more I like the FG. I'm not looking to overload a chassis with my build and I'm not against putting a pull behind on a chassis. I don't plan on a lot of overland travel and don't intend on leaving the lower 48. I can see us using this frequently on moderate and short trips for upwards of a week at a time.

A question that had come up is how large of a camper, dimensionally, can a FG chassis properly hold? I'm trying to keep my build as comfortable as possible and not feel cramped. I know the standard 5-ton trucks have 14' beds which I think is a little short for what I'm thinking about including.

I've really enjoyed the forum thus far and have been seriously impressed with so many of the innovative builds that are here.

Thanks in advance for any thoughts.

Mike

Hi Mike

Welcome. Sorry I cant think in feet and inches anymore. Standard FUSO WB is around 3.4m if you work on 60 % of WB for overhang as a rule then 4.65 would be your approximate body length. They are easy enough to extend the WB so adding another 600mm WB would give you another 1000mm in the body. 600mm WB extension would be about the max or ramp over and turning circle are too great. However I have seen one extended by 1100mm but that was ridiculously long.

sgtmike3

whatcharterboat,

Thank you for the helpful information. I don't mind the metric, its easy to deal with. 4.65 meters is not to bad, definitely something I can work with. 4.8 meters was what I had in mind when I was starting my design process. I'd prefer to not get into to much vehicle modification for my first build. I want to keep it relatively simple, but functional, and then develop things as I use it more.

Mike

whatcharterboat

whatcharterboat,

Thank you for the helpful information. I don't mind the metric, its easy to deal with. 4.65 meters is not to bad, definitely something I can work with. 4.8 meters was what I had in mind when I was starting my design process. I'd prefer to not get into to much vehicle modification for my first build. I want to keep it relatively simple, but functional, and then develop things as I use it more.

Mike

Hi mike

You're welcome

4800mm would be slightly over 60% which is legal limit here but if you don't have that law and don't want to modify the chassis too much then you would getaway with that. Just watch the departure angle when you design the bodywork.

sgtmike3

Thanks again. I'm not sure about the 60% limit here in the midwest. I will do some checking on that, meanwhile I will keep reading and getting some great ideas here. I was really impressed and intrigued with Ford Prefect's recent build using the composite material for his camper, really got me thinking now. My wife was saying "great, another project..." but I think she is buying in to this one since she is going to get some use out of it too.

Mike

whatcharterboat

Thanks again. I'm not sure about the 60% limit here in the midwest. I will do some checking on that, meanwhile I will keep reading and getting some great ideas here. I was really impressed and intrigued with Ford Prefect's recent build using the composite material for his camper, really got me thinking now. My wife was saying "great, another project..." but I think she is buying in to this one since she is going to get some use out of it too.

Mike

Hi Mike,

Yeah....Brian (Ford Prefect) knows what he's doing. Good guy. Am sure he would offer you advice.

The 60% thing is our Australian overhang law......don't believe you have that there at all but it isn't a bad guideline to follow.

hahah......you should see the projects cued up at my place....and of course the list of oddjobs posted on the fridge. Never ends.

Good luck.

Kind regards
John.

Last edited:

sgtmike3

I didn't think there was. I couldn't find any restrictions in the Ohio Revised Code. That gives me a little more flexibility in the planning process. There are so many things to consider when planning out these campers.

Mike

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mitch Bears