New to this...

TacoTraveler

Adventurer
Cackalak Han said:

I saw that thread but then I also thought that BajaTaco probably runs low PSI all the time for his adventures. That would wear the tires faster, right? My truck is still a daily driver and most of the offroading it will see is sand which won't wear them to hard. There is a guy on CustomTacos.com that I talked to earlier and he says his lasted him 45,000 miles with rotation at every 5,000 miles. He only ditched them because he somehow got an excessive amount of nails in them one night.

RoundOut

Explorer
Expeditions West did a nice white paper on tire choices and it answers that question. Essentially, in all but soft sand or mud, the narrower tire will give you better traction because of "mechanical keying", or the rubber compound adjusting to fit in the small gaps/bumps/grooves in the terrain. With a wider tire, the keying is not as strong, as the load is spread out over a larger surface. Of course on sand and mud, floatation is imperitive, so the wider tire will do better than a narrower tire at similar pressure and diameter.

Here's the article...
Tire Selection for Expedition Travel By Scott Brady, Expeditionswest.com

Last edited:

TacoTraveler

Adventurer
Awesome. Well it appears as if I'm going to be saving some money by going to a 15" rim. Now the debate is a 32x11.5 or a 33x10.5. These tires are in my budget and the rims are already here.
I mostly ride in sand but I currently do just fine with 265/75 tires which are 10.4" wide.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Smudge12