New Trailer Build

jeeper92

Adventurer
:smiley_drive:I purchased this for $250 bucks a few day ago. When I got it home I quickly put a "floor" in it so i was campable the next day. Below are some pics of the trailer. It was laoded with enough camping gear fro three and it towed great, there was a little trouble on some hills but nothing too hard. I am not sure after camping in it this weekend which way I should go. Im debating wheterh to keep the cap or go with a fold out for a tent . What aer some of your opinions????
Here are the pics
This is my wife loading it up.
jeepshow2009001.jpg

All doors open, they dont seal shut completely but for $250 i didnt think they would
018.jpg

this is the bed that I build up so we could camp. It slept all three combfortably but I need to build some storage underneath if we are going to use this method
019-1.jpg

Front of trailer
021.jpg

Gonna sand it down tom. Ptting in 3 hours a night sanding then paint next week, id like to have it painted by august 1st for the car show in maryland. Still not sure if i wanna keep the cap or do the fold out tent on it.
Help me decide damn it!! hahahah

bucketosudz

Explorer
Thats Funny!!! I just sold one exactly like that. Mine was a 76 Ford F150 with the same type of topper. They pull really well, I used my for getting firewood last fall. If I stay with my current truck I would love to build another bed trailer to match my truck. Good on you for getting it ready to get out and use it.

In my opinion the shell would be fine under the right conditions, I think it would be terribly deafening in a rainstorm and a bit of condensation magnet also. But there are those that have insulated and finished them so as to eleviate this situation. I was going to just use mine til I could pick up a carpeted fiberglass shell. They go for peanuts around here. I was also going to put a carpeted bed kit in mine, but alas I didnt get that far with this one.

Looking forward to seeing how you finish yours out. Congrats!!:victory:

Xtreme XJ

Adventurer
Soooo what model of JEEP are you towing it with... that's a fairly BIG trailer...
I was thinking you were going with a mini/mid size bed... the good is you all can fit... I think there are advantages to both... I imagine it's a little cumbersome... does it still have the rearend in it ??
I plan on getting rid of the shell to low the center of gravity. I think use the hell out of it and see what you like & don't... lighten it up a bit if possible then
modify as you deem fit... I'd just enjoy it..

Curt

jeeper92

Adventurer
yES i WAS THINKING OF putting a different shell on it. Problem is I dont even know what year it is, I know its a ford. The top is a mess but leak proof. We used a 10x10 canopy that I put over the entire trailer when we went to sleep to ensure that we would be dry. I am towing with a jeep tj 4.0. Its not cumbersome at all, why would you say that, i move it around by hand. When I loaded it up i did notice a change in weight (duh) :sombrero:but nothing to crazy. How could i lighten it up? I will be getting new rims and tires sometime next week. Hopefully its painted by then.
It slept my kids and I just fine. I just need to organize the inside a bit more, there were times when it looked terrible in htere and it borthered the hell outta me. When im done with the body work Ill be redoing the floor and storage areas. Id like to have a land line and a marine battery in there , i know nothing about electric but want to learn. Can you all give me an pointers or ideas?
thanks in advace for your response

jeeper92

Adventurer
one more thing

OOOOOOOOOOO yea the back door is jammed as well. I have no idea how to go about fixing this one!!! any ideas?

jeeper92

Adventurer
???

Is there a crash course in body work? I want to sand it down, prime it, and then paint it red. Little help here?
thanks

njtaco

Explorer
Did you even read the site? There is plenty of free information there, all you have to do is dig a little.

Xtreme XJ

Adventurer
yES i WAS THINKING OF putting a different shell on it. Problem is I dont even know what year it is, I know its a ford. The top is a mess but leak proof. We used a 10x10 canopy that I put over the entire trailer when we went to sleep to ensure that we would be dry. I am towing with a jeep tj 4.0. Its not cumbersome at all, why would you say that, i move it around by hand. When I loaded it up i did notice a change in weight (duh) :sombrero:but nothing to crazy. How could i lighten it up? I will be getting new rims and tires sometime next week. Hopefully its painted by then.
It slept my kids and I just fine. I just need to organize the inside a bit more, there were times when it looked terrible in htere and it borthered the hell outta me. When im done with the body work Ill be redoing the floor and storage areas. Id like to have a land line and a marine battery in there , i know nothing about electric but want to learn. Can you all give me an pointers or ideas?
thanks in advace for your response

Lighten with a straight axle/trailer axle (if it doesn't already have one) how is the tongue made ?? Can it be be revamped to lighten things ?
Any unnecessary brackets or hangers that can be removed can help...
A fiberglass shell would lighten things up... I'm sure some research could reveal the vintage of the trailer... maybe a different rear bumper... it's all what you want and like.
In the pict. the trailer looks to be fullsize and a bit wider then the TJ... it's good old American steel so that's why I mentioned it being cumbersome.

Sounds like the paint & body is in need of good old fashioned elbow grease.

I know jack about wiring...

Good Luck !!!

Curt

jeeper92

Adventurer
I said screw it and just primered it and painted it red today. I want to do this thing on the cheap, Ill prolly only use it this summer and next before the wife wants an RV!!! iLL POST PICS LATER. Turned out ok. Looks better then it did. A guy down the street was walking by and offered me a free diamond plated tounge box. Score!!! I can keep any fishing gear in there so it doesnt stink up hte trailer. Im now tring to figure out how I wanna set up the interior. Wanna set it up to sleep three, sooooooo prolly do a bunk bed of sorts. The red doesnt look toooo bad , just need some stuff to break it up a little. Looks like a perfect match to the red on my jeep. Im going to head to pep boys with my son he wants to put some "skulls" on it.......its his birthday so hes gonna buy a bunch of stuff for the trailer. hahah:victory:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior