Newbie with Bike Question?

WAND3R3R

Adventurer
I have a truck-camper mounted on a F350 DRW truck. I take it off-road often but limit myself to not too difficult trails. I recently mounted a front trailer hitch and carrier on my truck with a 500 lb. capacity. I plan to carry a motorcycle on the front to use primarily off-road but would like to have the option to operate legally on roads too.

Here's my question, with a 500 lb. (max) capacity for the motorbike carrier and my desire for a dual on/off road capable bike, what would you recommend. I know money is the single most important issue, let's say I like to be frugal.
Thanks in Advance!!

Hltoppr

El Gringo Spectacular!
Used dual sport in the 200-650cc range. Honda, Yamaha, etc....

Lean towards the smaller if you'll be on tighter trails with little or no high speed highway; towards the larger if you plan on travelling at 55mph+ for any amount of time.

HTH

-H-

cjrivera68

Check out the yamaha tw200. The bike is less than 300lb wet weight and is street legal. You could probably find a good used one on craigslist for less than $3000.

They are a simple bike that have not basically changed since the first ones, making parts easily available, and easy to work on at the trail.

I have been wanting to get one for the same reasons you want one. Just another thing to add to the wish list.

lake_bueller

Observer
Almost any dual sport under 650cc will be under that weight. A stock DR650 has a spec weight of 368 with all fluids and full tank. You should be able to find a gentle used one for around $2k.

I'm probably speaking to the choir, but make sure your front springs can handle the extra load!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior