Next big family tent for Newfoundland trip: Skyliner? Family Camper?

swduncan

Observer
I'm planning a trip to Newfoundland, and on our last trip (CO, UT, WY, SD) our Gazelle tent proved it is not up to the task. So I'm looking for the next large family tent. We're a family of 5, with the kids being 14-18yrs, and two will be out of the house soon. We tend to not to camp in one spot for long. Maybe a 3-4 days max usually 1or 2 nights. In our style of travel the tent is more of a crash pad. No cots, no furniture, just large pads on the floor. The 110 sq ft of the Gazelle was about right.

So we're looking at the Springbar Skyliner or Family Camper, or possibly the Traveler. We toured their facility on our last trip, and if I go canvas it will be a tent made there.

The Skyliner is much more spacious, and so that could be great. But it's more expensive and one of the more prominent reviews on YouTube talks about wrinkles in the roof holding water. The roof is very large, and I have concerns about how tough the tent really is because it hasn't been out long enough to prove itself. They also don't yet offer a rain fly for it - which I'm considering for just-in-case high winds/epic rain.

The Family Camper is cheaper, same floor size, smaller roof and clearly proven. Concerned the sloping walls kill a lot of the floor space.

The Traveler is lighter, cheaper, and 100sq ft. Would be tight on this trip, but would be a better fit size-wise for future trips.

Anyone have experience with the Skyliner in high wind and/or rain?

Any other thoughts?

canyonrider

I would go with the Traveler if you're comfortable that there is sufficient floor space for your sleeping pads. Reasoning: these are big, heavy tents that are a bit of a bear to pack up frequently, especially when wet. Smaller will also be better in the wind. The Traveler is a proven model and won't require as large of a campsite footprint or as much vehicle space.

Caveat: I don't have any experience with those three models, but we have used a Vagabond for our family of four plus dog over the past three years and have a similar camping style as you. The tent has been great, and has handled all kinds of wind/rain/snow conditions, but I have yet to wish it was bigger.
IMG_7897.jpeg

IMG_1477.JPEG

Flyelk1

I have a Springbar Highline. They are truly incredible tents. Used as a basecamp/car camping is obviously ideal due to weight. As far as durability, I have never been let down by this set up. You wouldn’t think so to look at it, but they are incredibly durable.

I have had mine set up for long term use (weeks at a time) and it has been subjected to snow, big wind, etc.. with zero problems. Use the ground footprint for added protection on the bottom, get some good durable stakes, and it’s really hard to beat the set up. Just my opinion. I’d buy another one in a second if something happened to ours.

swduncan

Observer
It battled a storm in SD and lost. I posted about it here, I think, and here: Gazelle T8 tent vs. Badlands thunderstorm
To be fair, we did not guy out every hub, but the tent's design is not very wind friendly and the ground loops are barely attached from the factory.

Super convenient in protected campgrounds and where there's somewhere to bail to, but I won't use it in a remote situation again.

inquiring minds want to know: what happened to the gazelle?

calicamper

Expedition Leader
I'm planning a trip to Newfoundland, and on our last trip (CO, UT, WY, SD) our Gazelle tent proved it is not up to the task. So I'm looking for the next large family tent. We're a family of 5, with the kids being 14-18yrs, and two will be out of the house soon. We tend to not to camp in one spot for long. Maybe a 3-4 days max usually 1or 2 nights. In our style of travel the tent is more of a crash pad. No cots, no furniture, just large pads on the floor. The 110 sq ft of the Gazelle was about right.

So we're looking at the Springbar Skyliner or Family Camper, or possibly the Traveler. We toured their facility on our last trip, and if I go canvas it will be a tent made there.

The Skyliner is much more spacious, and so that could be great. But it's more expensive and one of the more prominent reviews on YouTube talks about wrinkles in the roof holding water. The roof is very large, and I have concerns about how tough the tent really is because it hasn't been out long enough to prove itself. They also don't yet offer a rain fly for it - which I'm considering for just-in-case high winds/epic rain.

The Family Camper is cheaper, same floor size, smaller roof and clearly proven. Concerned the sloping walls kill a lot of the floor space.

The Traveler is lighter, cheaper, and 100sq ft. Would be tight on this trip, but would be a better fit size-wise for future trips.

Anyone have experience with the Skyliner in high wind and/or rain?

Any other thoughts?
14-18 yrs old teen? Get em their own tents. Way easier to find multiple small flat spots to pitch tents vs one giant spot. That’s actually why we quit using our giant tent. Anything larger than about 8x8 foot print we had to excavate a pad big enough for the tent.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior

Members online