Noise behind glove box problem

Ridgewalker

Adventurer
Help!:punk03: Sometimes when I start up my 03 Taco TRD SR5 double cab I get a loud "buzzing" noise from behind the glove box or passenger airbag.:Wow1: It resembles a relay or solenoid "buzz". Most of the time it works fine, then suddenly it "buzzes". I restart the motor (occasionally several times) and it is gone.

Has anyone had this issue or any suggestions?

Thanks in advance for any input.:wavey:

DaktariEd

2005, 2006 Tech Course Champion: Expedition Trophy
Not sure...
I had a buzzing noise when the heater/a/c fan was blowing.
Turned out it was a Mesquite Tree bean that got pulled in....
Just a thought. :D

safari.gif

4Rescue

Expedition Leader
Yeah, sounds like a fan motor or something. Older Hilux's like mine also had an annoying issue with the speedo cable, dunno, maybe the Taco has the same issue?

Cheers

Dave

Ridgewalker

Adventurer
Well, of course it hasn't done it again in over a month. Guess I'll have to wait until it happens again and just hope I am close to a Toyota mechanic to hear it.

Thanks for the input.

Ursidae69

Expedition Leader
I have an aweful noise when above 55 that comes from behind the glove box. Sounds like a leaf or piece of paper is stuck somehwere and buzzing. I need to tear things down next free weekend. :rolleyes:

Ridgewalker

Adventurer
FYI, I finally found the cause of the noise. It started and stayed on all the time.

It was the inside or outside vent. Apparently the gears are stripped that open and close the vent. It is located above the blower motor on the passenger side below the glove box.

What I did was to remove the fan (3) screws and manually close the vent. I do not push the button that closes the vent any more. That seemed to be what caused it to start.

I guess I should take it all apart and replace the gears, but I just cannot seem to make the time. And after all, it doesn't do it if I don't close the vent.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior