NOPEC comes out

NOPEC

After having been a long time lurker and short time member, I have to say that EP has been an amazing resource for my addiction and I have and do really appreciate what it offers. With that in mind, I thought it was time to contibrute by posting some information on my recent build.

It started life as a '95 Kodiak 8'3" TC, designed for a fullsized short box. This camper was made in western Canada for several years by a company called Peak industries. The long box versions seem to be more common, I think there are a few kicking around on this site. This brand has an all fiberglass exterior and is somewhat similiar to Bigfoot and Northern lite.

I basically gutted and re-did the inside, got rid of 4 windows, one roof hatch, changed out virtually all of the componentry, systems and wiring, re-fiberglassed all of the window openings, replaced the remaining single glaze slider windows with double pane acrylic (smaller and more efficient, net reduction of window surface area of just under 50 percent) and then textured and repainted the exteror with many coats of high end industrial PU paint.

The jacks shown in the photo are just temporary, NOPEC (New Old Perfect Expedition Camper - Ok, I agree it is cheesy...) lives on the truck so no need for them and as well, they are heavy, a general pain and of course, a liability around stumps and other hidden goodies.

I still have a few interior bits and pieces to finish, but I am considering it done. Thought I would just put it up, hopefully it may inspire someone who has had thoughts of taking a run at a major overhaul of a fiberglass truck camper. It is quite doable, but just like everyone else seems to find out, it takes way longer and more money than one initially budgets for.
Cheers
Bob

nopecx.jpg0.jpg

NOPEC

2 pics?! Not even any interior shots, you’re gonna have to do better than that! We wanna see more.
OK, OK, Looks like snow tonight so that will be a nice warm inside job tomorrow! I did try to enter a few but got gonged by the file sizes. Learning as I go...

Brewdiak

kodiak conversionator
yeah EP is somewhat of a pain uploading photos...size and orientation can be annoying at times. nice rig!

NOPEC

Where in BC are you located? Lots of nice areas around there to explore.

We are in the Kootenays. Did lots of backcountry "staycation" jaunts in our back yard this summer and fall, really fun to explore your own neighbourhood indepth instead of always going for the big trips.

NOPEC

We are in the Kootenays. Did lots of backcountry "staycation" jaunts in our back yard this summer and fall, really fun to explore your own neighbourhood indepth instead of always going for the big trips.
Borison asked for a few pics of the interior, so here they are attached below. They show some different areas but it is a pretty small space to get anything too wide angle.

As far as electrical, briefly here is what we did
- DC NovaKool fridge, this time a model with no freezer.
- We use one of the newer SiO2 silcone based batteries, 160 AH, not everyone's cup of tea but this is our second one in a build and they have just been great.
- A Vicron monitor keeps an eye on things and also acts as a nice night light.
- The original RV converter is long gone. I put 2/0 gauge cable from the camper to the truck, via 150 amp breakers and an Anderson connector.
- A Blue Sea three pole switch to feed the DC from the truck to either the Blue Sea ACR and then to the house battery or directly to the house battery.
- Two 100 watt flexible GoPower solar panels and controller of the same brand. Third time with these, they really work well on crowned, molded fiberglass roofs.
- Straight AC plug and wired it to a house hold outlet as well as to a dedicated CTEK 7 amp smart charger used with shore power.
- Blue Sea fuse block, switches and assorted DC/USB plugs
- All lights converted to LED, including exterior in the form of clearance lights, tail lights and the Perkins Marine outside light.
- Maxxair roof fan/vent

Propane
- Propex heater
- Propex HW heater
- Suburban drop in two burner stove top
(there was nothing wrong with the original appliances but these are all a huge improvement in both efficently and in terms of space and weight)

General
- New smaller light weight Cherry table, new kitchen countertop with much smaller single sink. (all of the hinged inspection hatches made with the same kitchen arborite laminated to 3/8s Baltic Birch)
- We choose to keep the original Oak cabinetry. It is really well made and a bit retro which fits with the original age of the camper. A friend made several new oak doors which closely match the original profiles.
- New water tank with inspection/cleaning port
- A ton of other stuff which I will think of after I post this..

cheers Bob

nopec kitchen.jpgnopec hatches.jpgnopec bdrm.jpg

nopec NK fridge.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Smudge12