Nor Cal coast/ oregon - Aug 07

gpwpat

Adventurer
My wife and I are bussy getting my trailer set up for a quick run up the coast to break in our eezi awn. First nights are set to stay at usal beach in the lost coast. we may spend 2 nights depending on how nice it is. Where should we go from there? What should we see. where should we stay. we are playing it all by ear. Wherever the jeep takes us we will go. but we are traveling north.

Leaving in 2 weeks, and I can't wait.

kcowyo

ExPo Original
I could live quite happily in Bandon. One of my top 3 favorite towns in the US.

Any of the little towns between Brookings and North Bend are great. The best collection of lighthouses anywhere are on the Oregon Coast.

Hope you have a safe and fun trip! :beer:

blupaddler

Conspirator
Good luck, we just returned from a similar trip.

Usal is very nice. Head in from the south and Hwy 1. From Usal north follow the road out of camp that heads more north towards Shelter Cove. There is a REALLY nice campground along that route as well (I will check the map for the campground name). Then you can head along the King Range road back out towards the historic town of Ferndale, where the only gas station in town is still full-service! A cool town to walk around and check out.

The drive from Usal to Ferndale is doable in one day, it would probably take about 5-6 hours depending on hour fast you drive.

Like KC said, Bandon is super-cool. Stop in for fish-n-chips. Get some smoked fish. Ahhhhhhhh... There is a really good coffee shop just along side Hwy 101, north of the main entrance to town. Oh, stop at Misty Meadows for some Jam.

Oregon coast. Whaleshead Beach is nice to visit. Check out Humbug State Park/Campground. Also Cape Blanco Lighthouse, the only one on the coast you can go up and see the actual lense, the campground is really nice as well. If you follow Hwy 101, you will see signs for the Bicycle route, follow these when you can, it's a more scenic route.

Astoria was a neat place to hang out for a day and explore from there.

I will check my notes and find the names of more places for you.

:archaeolo

gpwpat

Adventurer
Wow

tanks alot. that info already helps on which direction I will need to go. funny. I have been spending all my time getting my equipment together. I have not thought much on where to go past usal beach.

Clay

Adventurer
My three favorite places on the coast are; Goat rock state park west of Santa Rosa, CA, Shelter Cove, CA, and Bandon, OR. All three are worth seeing if not on this trip, then at some time.

As a side note, the river boat tour up the Rogue River is pretty good.

blupaddler

Conspirator
gpwpat said:
Wow

tanks alot. that info already helps on which direction I will need to go. funny. I have been spending all my time getting my equipment together. I have not thought much on where to go past usal beach.

The road going north out of Usal should be on most maps.

If you need better/specific directions, just PM me.
:Astrologist:

Shelter Cove was neat, and we wanted to stay, but weren't about to pay $30 for a camping spot.

:shakin:

:arabia:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taunger