Northstar AGM 27F Battery

MTaco

Adventurer
I've been searching for a better replacement battery for my 06 Tacoma. Since Sears no longer has the Die Hard 31M that that most were using for running their fridge and other electrical needs, I've looked into other options. Also I was somewhat hesitant on the big 31M because of the charging issues I've read about.

Does anyone have experience with the Northstar 27F or X2 Power Premium from Batteries Plus? The specs on it are almost as good as the group 31 but it should fit with no modifications. It looks like a winner to me but thought I would get any opinions before I buy one.

Product Name NSB-AGM-27F
BCI Group Number 27F
Height with Terminal 8.74 in
Width 6.77 in
Length 12.4 in
Weight 68 lbs
Terminal Configuration SAE
Pulse Cranking Amps 1,750 A
CA/MCA at 32°F 1,080 A
CCA at 0°F 930 A
CCA at -20°F 650 A
Reserve Capacity 195 min
Capacity 20 Hour Rate 91 Ah
Capacity 10 Hour Rate 88 Ah
Internal Resistance 2.6 mΩ
Short Circuit Current 5,000 A
Warranty 4 years full

Northstar Link

Batteries Plus Link

I'll probably end up getting the X2 from Batteries Plus because its cheaper and its local. I also noticed the X2 has a 5 year full replacement warranty vs 4 for the Northstar. That is 0 months prorated.

Last edited:

dstock

Explorer
Having just been down this road after a failed Diehard Platinum, my only issue when researching the X2 is that they don't seem as widely available making a mid-journey replacement more difficult regardless of the warranty.

I decided to go back to an Optima yellow top for availability, cost, etc. Time will tell if that was the right decision!

JohnnyS

Explorer
Just bought an 27F X2 for our 100 series (LX)...seems like a lot of guys have had good luck with them and the 5 year warranty is pretty hard to beat.

Ducky's Dad

Explorer
I have a new Odyssey 31M (same as the PM1) in my Dodge, a new Northstar 31M in my Tundra, and Optima Yellows in my GMC. The Odyssey has issues, the Northstar is new but seems to be much less of a headache than the Odyssey, and the Optima Yellows (duals) have been in the GMC for a few years with no problems. A pair of Optima Group 34s has about similar amp-hour capacity as a single Northstar 31M, and two of those cost about the same as one Northstar 31M.

C-Fish

Adventurer
I'm in the same situation with my PM1.

Interested in opinions on the battery mentioned above.

I have a fridge and a solar panel on the the roof...

PM1 is only holding about 12.0-12.4 volts at any one time...

1Louder

Explorer
I just picked one up today because Sears is USELESS!!!! 1.5 year old PM-1 bad and they have no replacement, no alternatives, and just blank stares in the stores.....

Thanks for the suggestion on the 27F. Fits fine in my FJ Cruiser.

MTaco

Adventurer
I just picked one up today because Sears is USELESS!!!! 1.5 year old PM-1 bad and they have no replacement, no alternatives, and just blank stares in the stores.....

Thanks for the suggestion on the 27F. Fits fine in my FJ Cruiser.

Awesome! I think I will pick one up before summer. Keep us updated on how it holds up.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Deleman