NPS with stuck clutch

kerry

Expedition Leader
Yes, I'd consider the master also while you're at it. Master is a little awkward to change out. Hard to reach but doable. I found bleeding the clutch system a challenge. It took a lot of pumping using the traditional method. I'd probably attempt to bleed by putting a hose on the slave bleed screw and attaching to a syringe or something and forcing fluid upwards the next time I did it.

LeishaShannon

Adventurer
I pulled out the master on the weekend to find I'd managed to bend the rod with my over zealous pumping of the clutch, so a new one of those is on the way. Hopefully with the hydraulic side fixed the mechanical side won't give me any further issues.

LeishaShannon

Adventurer
New master and slave installed today. It was a pain in the *** doing the master as half the dash had to come out. I figured (incorrectly it seems) that gravity would feed fluid from the reservoir back through the system. Instead I used a large syringe attached to the slave bleeder nipple through a short piece of clear hose and pumped fluid back through the system until the bubbles stopped coming out of the reservoir. All seems to be working well now.

Thanks to all who helped out with ideas and comments!

SkiFreak

Crazy Person
Think of it this way Shannon...
Much better having to pull the dash apart, opposed to removing the gearbox, which you probably would of had to do if it were a mechanical issue with the clutch.

kerry

Expedition Leader
On my left hand drive 1999 US model, I was able to swap out the clutch master cylinder without removing any of the dash.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior