Nutrition 101?

There is certainly a difference in average eating and perfomance eating. And many, many different views and opinions on performance eating. Basically, low glycemic carbs equal sustained energy and protein rebuilds. And of course there are times when you need a quick hit of glucose to finish----

Christophe Noel

Expedition Leader
DaveInDenver said:
Never had a coach, so I'm in the dark. I trend towards endurance races, since I'm not super fast but stubborn. How do you eat for those? I eat equal carb and protein thinking that I need to refuel and rebuild.
Maybe it's because I've been doing it so long, but I think cycling nutrition is easy. You have to understand just a couple basic concepts and eating for the bike is pretty strait forward. Your three key macronutrients are pretty obvious; carbs, protein and fat. You really have to have all three. The balance depends on the time of year, and/or the objective of your fueling by week or by day.

For longer events like road races or endurance mnt events, carbs are key. Especially during those days of long training miles. When you log big miles you have to help your body replace glycogen stores and carbs do just that. When you do short, intense miles like those cyclocross races, you do a great deal of fiber damage to muscles and protein helps rebuild or repair that damage.

As it relates to replacing glycogen stores, there is a very brief window of opportunity. If you introduce glycogens (carbs) into your system within 45 minutes after a hard workout, you stand an excellent chance of having the glycogen stores in your muscles up to snuff by the next day. Outside of that window your body struggles to replace those stores and it can be a few days before you catch up.

This is all nothing new. This was true when I was a kid living at the Olympic Training Center in the Springs during the late 80s. We'd finish a ride and suck down carb rich drinks...yuk. Things have evolved. Now it is encouraged to consume proteins as well to help repair tissue damage quickly. The use of things like Muscle Milk fit that bill. Keeping a steady base line of incoming antioxidants also helps. FRS is my favorite for that need. Before we leave the subject of carbs - The notion of "carbo loading" pretty much died in the mid 90s. However, when I race with my buddies in Italy, they still swear it works. Of course they do...they're Italian!! There is also a new use of "quick carbs" in the form of GU, Power Gel, etc. Even if you're on the edge of a nasty bonk, you can usually suck down a 100 calorie GU pack every 20 minutes and survive even 100 mile road races...I have. Those GU packs are glycogen rocket fuel....quick burn.

As for the balance of the three macro-fuels, fat usually gets allocated 10% of daily intake by most riders. Avocado, olive oil, fat in the proper fish, peanut butter, etc. For me, like most riders, sometimes my carb intake can reach 65% or more as those back to back big miles really suck the glycogen stores bone dry. That's assuming there hasn't been much in the way of super-lactate intensity. The more super-lactate intensity you endure, the more likely you'll need to up the protein levels. So, on back to back days of killer intensity, like during stage races or big ugly training weeks, I up my protein level to maybe 50%. Okay....when off season rolls around, that's the time to really up the protein as a measure of not blowing up like a swollen tick. I can gain pounds quick so moving to 60% protein, 30% carbs and 10% fat helps.

The key is somewhat knowing when you're in aerobic zones and when you've crossed over your lactate threshold and are now doing serious tissue damage. Cyclocross races are 100% super lactate. Base miles are boring and 100% aerobic...carb eaters.

For cycling, this is all pretty much universal. This is the absolute core of cycing nutrition whether you're a Cat 5 beginner or Jan Ullrich, minus the dope. Honestly, I've never heard of cyclist doing much different. One of the coolest things about this...Fausto Coppi was eating this way IN THE 1950s!!!!! Smart dude.

Last edited:

dieselcruiserhead

16 Years on ExPo. Whoa!!
Great guys good to see all of this great info.. As usual the weekend came and ate at a friends house (both very fit and healthy people) but big meal and lots of sugar.. So tough. Anyway, I ahve been biking like crazy including my biggest/hardest ride ever this weekend that kicked my ass and probably burned 4-5K calories I figure.. As I have time I'll "digest" all this great info and will keep you guys posted.. Thanks again, Cheers, Andre

bigreen505

Expedition Leader
If you are working pretty hard (not coasting, but not puking either), 500 cal/hr is a reasonable guess for a burn rate. As always, YMMV.

dieselcruiserhead

16 Years on ExPo. Whoa!!
I have not had a chance to follow the great suggestions and information from this thread... But wanted to give a little update...

I have been exercising as much as possible (2-3 nights a week of serious MTB riding, in a good week) and we have been healthy and well. Carrie would be excerising a lot too I speculate except for her torn ACL so pretty immobilized for now... My beer consumption has also gone way down.. With some increase in wine consumption but this is very limited..

And low and behold in a month or so I've lost 5 lbs easily, closer to 10.. . It is a noticable visual difference... Weighed myself and I was down to 228 last night (which for 6'5 and my body type is not too bad). My worse was probablty about 238-243. I'm back to about where my body was when I was in college... Body fat is at just under 26% and water weight is about 55% according to my fancy schmancy new scale... Not sure if this helps at all.. I was not over weight particularly but had/have about 15-20lbs or extra weight and light gut action which I feel like really affected me as far as overall feeling of health in general... My goal is 220...

Poor Carrie just had her knee surgury and is hurting and unfortunately gets a little depressed if she's sitting around too long. She's been working from home and is doing well but she reacts poorly to strong pain killers (nausea, etc) but is doing well. The knee surgury ended up being done by (not sure if I mentioned it) probably the best knee doctor in possibly the west and from the photos and discussion looks like everything is going well. She required the least surgury possible for the torn ACL. There was some concern there was cartiledge and/or meniscus damage and luckily there was none of that.

As far as health, her test (see first post for more info) came out at 9 and I was way worse, a 16 surprizingly... But I have basically been eating whatever I want for the most part, my entire life, until this year. Her dad, who also took the test and is 63 and just won a huge local mountain bike race and was also the only guy on a single speed (extra hard work), and is in more than perfect shape, got a 3... Which is supposed to be pretty good but a pro athelete in fully recovered mode (little regular impact) should be a 2 or 1.

Anyway, still working on it. I learned to really cut out sugar and think about what I eat. I hope I don't forget that, for the first time in my life I really have started thinking about what I eat every time I eat which I think is kind of cool...

As I get more time and settle down on my latest obsession (mtb bicycle building/parts) I want to focus on learning about nutrition and overall physical health as mentioned before. I also really want to learn how to cook beyond my currently very limited repertoire to produce delicious yet healthy food.

Cheers,
Andre

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior