OBs and OBWs: Outback, Outback Wilderness

echo7tango

Road tripping, overlanding
Who has an OB or OBW?

I just got an OBW and put BFG KO2s on it. With 10” of ground clearance, that’s more than my Jeep Grand Cherokee had. My diesel GC died so after 10 years and 195,000 miles on it, I got my first Subaru. It’s an OBW and I’m happy so far, although I haven’t had it long.

Pic follows. Do you have an OB or OBW? Tell us about it. Where’ve you been, what’ve you done? In a couple of weeks I’m headed to Monument Valley and Moab. I’ll share about that here on ExPo.

IMG_6971.jpeg

Last edited:

phsycle

Adventurer
We had a 2013 OB that we loved. It took us on a lot of adventures from Utah to Mexico and all in between. It was very roomy for our family of 4 and fit a ton of cargo inside.

I would have kept it to mod, but the only thing I wish it had was low range. Some of of the places I love to go, 4lo is a must (San Juan’s in Colorado, for instance).

I understand the Wilderness is much better in this aspect (of slow crawling). Have fun with it.

Victorian

Approved Vendor : Total Composites
We have a Crosstrek Wilderness. Many moons ago we also owned an Outback. They are fantastic. I call it a no drama vehicle. You just get in and drive. Our area just got hammered with snow and ice the last couple of days. It's kind of lame to miss out on the fun when others are sliding and are stuck while you drive it like in dry condition. :)
Enjoy your new ride!

echo7tango

… but the only thing I wish it had was low range. Some of of the places I love to go, 4lo is a must (San Juan’s in Colorado, for instance).

I understand the Wilderness is much better in this aspect (of slow crawling). Have fun with it.
According to their claims the OBW can climb up to 40% grade. I have not tested this. Yet.

bnkrpt

Subaru junky here that currently has a 2023 Outback Wilderness. Our first Subaru was a 2017 Outback and we've had a 2020 Ascent, 2020 WRX, 2001 Outback, and a 2023 Legacy in between. The Legacy and my OBW are the current garage occupants. We live in MN so the worst my Outback ever sees is rough gravel roads but that's why we landed where we did. I'm not a big off-road guy, much more of a soft-roader so the Outback is ideal. Great fuel economy and road manners for our road trips and still enough to get us away from the traffic and herds of people when we want.

Mine is also autumn green metallic. (y)

echo7tango

Subaru claims 40%. tan⁻¹(40%) = 22°.

In San Francisco I found a 25° hill, supposedly the steepest in The City.

tan(25°) = 47%. Woo-hoo!
IMG_8637.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_8639.jpeg
    IMG_8639.jpeg
    232 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_8629.jpeg
    IMG_8629.jpeg
    87.3 KB · Views: 4

echo7tango

Ah, I got it now. Just had to read this.
Helpful article.

Spelling it out,
An incline can be characterized by its Rise and its Run. Rise is how high you go, and Run is how far you travel to go that high.

◆ The Degree of an incline is the angle θ defined by the tangent of Rise and Run: tan θ = Rise ÷ Run, or,
θ = tan⁻¹(Rise ÷ Run)
◆ The Percent of an incline is defined to be (Rise ÷ Run) x 100, or,
x% = (Rise ÷ Run) x 100

Subaru claims the Outback Wilderness can climb a 40% incline. That equates to an angle of 22°, because:

Because tan θ = Rise ÷ Run, and because x% = (Rise ÷ Run) x 100; we then have
x% = 40 = (tan θ) x 100. Dividing by 100 we have
0.4 = tan θ
θ = tan⁻¹(0.4) = 21.8, or 22
θ = 22°

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior