Off-road limitations of a 2" ball coupler?

LandCruiserPhil

Expedition Leader
After doing my own testing I went with a 1-7/8 for the most angle capable.

Attachments

• trlball.JPG
    trlball.JPG
    58.3 KB · Views: 45
  • tuff2.JPG
    tuff2.JPG
    96.2 KB · Views: 48
I know this sounds crazy, I use a 2" ball on my off road trailer w/o problem have done the Mojave Road 4 times. Now the crazy part, take an old rear dirt bike innertube cut it down to 18" or so. Roll it up and put it on the trailer side over and past the coupler. Connect the trailer to tow vehicle then unwind the tube to cover the receiver on the vehicle and the trailer. Hose clamp each end. It keeps out mud, sand, brush, and reduces that annoying rattle.

OverlandZJ

Expedition Leader
After doing my own testing I went with a 1-7/8 for the most angle capable.

The previous mention of 1 7/8" couplers and your pics have convinced me this is the way i'll go on my small pop up. I'll just copy the hitch style on tongue shown earlier so it cant be easily hauled away.

Perfect timing on this thread OP.. thanks all.

millerfish

Adventurer
I use a 2" ball and have drug my trailer all over with no issues. However if I was building from scratch I would have a receiver on the trailer side so you always have the option to change the coupler. That also allows you to shorten or lengthen the tongue if needed.

tenebs

I'm running a lunette ring (which slides into a 2" receiver mounted on the front of my trailer)

Did you make that receiver mount or buy it. I'm looking for the same thing that I can weld (or bolt & weld) to the top of my trailer tongue.

rnArmy

Adventurer
Not sure I'm understanding the question.

Are you asking about this thing slid into the 2" receiver:

trailer coupler ball hitch.jpg

Or this unit bolted to the trailer tongue that includes the 2" receiver tube:

Van and trailer.2.jpg

I made the ball coupler (top picture) that slides into the 2" receiver hitch thingy. Was simple with 2" square tubing and a 1 7/8" ball coupler.

If the second picture, I made that too using a section of 2" receiver tubing and a larger piece of square tubing I attached the receiver tubing to (welded and bolted together when attached to the trailer's tongue).

I'm not using it (second picture and one below) anymore (I changed the tongue of my trailer to a straighter design). If you want it, you can have it (PM me). It slides over a square tongue measuring 2.5" x 2.5", and extends your trailer's tongue a bit. I just went out to the shop to see if I still had it and took a picture. Yup, just a bit dirty. It bolts on the tongue from the sides and the top.

trailer tongue adapter.jpg

New straight design/extended tongue on the trailer:

tongue.30.jpg

Last edited:
I don’t want to stir up controversy for nothing, but IMHO the best offroad hitch is a pintle hitch that rotates on the towing vehicle.
Virtually all the world’s armies agree with this assessment.
I acknowledge that a ball hitch works ok mostly, especially if there’s rotatibility somewhere.
Before someone responds with “clanking” etc, I believe the OP was asking about offroad.
Has anyone ever seen or experienced breakage/failure of the rather tricky locking system of ball hitches. That’s always worried me.

Last edited:

BritKLR

Kapitis Indagatoris
FWIW. I've had the stamped steel couplers bend between the hinge pin and ball cup if the maximum angle is exceeded resulting in having to replace the coupler. Good luck!

B654C008-ADBB-46F0-9F97-44B92E5B605F.jpeg

rnArmy

Adventurer
I don’t want to stir up controversy for nothing, but IMHO the best offroad hitch is a pintle hitch that rotates on the towing vehicle.
I acknowledge that a ball hitch works ok mostly, especially if there’s rotatibility somewhere.
Before someone responds with “clanking” etc, I believe the OP was asking about offroad.
Has anyone ever seen or experienced breakage/failure of the rather tricky locking system of ball hitches. That’s always worried me.

I agree. I take mine off-road a lot, and don't really hear much clanking. It is worse if you don't have much tongue weight.

Regarding a rotating pintle hitch (aka Dixon Bate or NRC2051 hitch):

To pintle or not to pintle? | Page 2 | Expedition Portal

4000lbsOfGoat

LOL! Virtually all the world's armies also purchase from the low bidder.....

I use a standard 2" ball on the TV with one of these from Ark Corporation on the trailer. It has all the convenience of a ball (easy connect\disconnect, can hook up to just about any vehicle without a specialized coupler) but much better range of motion without binding.

coupler.jpg

billiebob

I've had both, ball and pintle. Never had an issue with either but I prefer how quiet the ball is. I once flipped a trailer with a ball hitch on its side, twisted the trailer tongue but the hitch was fine. I'm sure a bolted on pintle hitch would have twisted the tongue also.

Note the scuffed board and corner on the trailer side where it skidded on the highway at 60mph.... kind of a top heavy, skinny track trailer.

DSC_0022.jpeg

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Deleman