Off Road proof oil storage

B2expedition

So our form factor for camping involves us storing olive oil and cooking oil in the kitchen box of our trailer. We tend to wander from home and civilization for weeks at a time, and enjoy cooking creative meals in amazing spots.

Curious if anyone has a shatter proof, pourable, container that does not let oil leak through.

We have double bagged containers in the past but are after a fool proof single container solution for future trips.

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
I use small Nalgene bottles for olive oil and other cooking liquids. At least for 4, 8 and 16 ounce sizes. The square bodies in particular are nice since they pack easier.

nalgene1.jpg

nalgene2.jpg

nalgene3.jpg

They also make their regular water bottles in 16 ounce, so that's an option if you want something more familiar and want to take that much.
nalgene4.jpg

Last edited:

aknightinak

Oil is one of those things that I think I would never not overbag the container, at least singly.

Definitely not shatterproof by design, but Ball canning jars work for me, and the reusable, plastic lids they market for them seal up just fine, in my experience. I use one for oil and always have a home-jar of salmon for backup rations in the dry goods. As often as not, I pack liquids in the cooler in them, too, milk for coffee, etc.. I'm not real gentle with any tote, and I have yet to shatter one with only minimal attention to how I pack them.

NatersXJ6

Explorer
I keep oil in a liquor flask. Works well but is small. Have also used the small Nalgene bottles. Works just as well.

Was recently reminded of the importance as I left a regular olive oil bottle in my chuck box “just for a while” and it all ended up soaked into everything soft!

SDDiver5

Expedition Leader
What about a water bottle? Like the smallest size plastic smart water? Super sturdy. Checks all of the boxes.

Cabrito

I come in Peace
What about a water bottle? Like the smallest size plastic smart water? Super sturdy. Checks all of the boxes.

This could be a great idea using one with the sport caps or even the ones that have the flip up cover on them. Thanks for the idea, but only concern is if the oil will break down the plastic in the bottle over time.

SDDiver5

Expedition Leader
This could be a great idea using one with the sport caps or even the ones that have the flip up cover on them. Thanks for the idea, but only concern is if the oil will break down the plastic in the bottle over time.
While my idea had good intentions, a quick google search says no to keeping oil in plastic containers. Been buying olive oil in a plastic bottle for 20 years lol.

alanymarce

We just leave the oil in the bottle in which it came. We pack it such that there's little or no impact on the bottle, and it stays upright (more or less). Haven;t had a problem yet.

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
The plastic olive oil comes in would likely be PET. I don't know if it breaks down but it does allow oxygen through, which isn't good for the oil, and leaches phthalates, which aren't great for your health. Nalgene bottles are HDPE (the opaque white) or polycarbonate (hard colored ones) so is slightly better and are typically BPA-free now. If that stuff matters to you.

86scotty

Cynic
I keep kitchen oils and bottles of non-perishables like hot sauce in socks. Yep, socks. Works great, you can always find a good sock to fit any bottle. That way you keep the flavors as the maker intended, not something you can do with plastic bottles. I also line shelves and drawers with automotive carpet (cut and adhered with spray adhesive).

You didn't ask about engine oil but how to keep oil in general in a vibrating vehicle (camper or whatever) is a great question. As for engine oils I keep them in cardboard. It's exceptional at dealing with vibration and containing spills should a hole rub in an oil or coolant bottle.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior