Off road tire pressure help 10,000+ lb camper

jebers53

Observer
New to off road travel with my 2008 Provan Tiger, camper built on a 4x4 chevy 3500HD)running on bridgestone dueler A/T LT 265 75R16 load rating E, at 10,000+gvw, runs great hwy 70psi front/80rear, but off road even small washboard rattles my teeth! Any suggestions on how much I dare pressure down for short forest roads etc.? Would invest in a good air compressor if it was safe to pressure down. Thanks

Hill Bill E.

Oath Keeper
"E" is a heavy sidewall (naturally for the load you are carrying)

Your best bet, is to experiment with airing down while fully loaded.

Start slow, letting just enough air out so the sidewalls just start to 'bulge' a bit, then take it for a (slow) test drive, checking the ride and handling.

Work with it until you find a happy medium, and as you mentioned, have a way to air back up for the highway.

That much load, you'll definitely want to be at a safe road pressure!

Our '09 D2500 has 2 recomendations from the factory, 70 F / 80 R for loads, and 70 F / 45 R for 'no load' (under 250 lbs)

It makes a big difference in the ride when empty, especially on the corduroy/washboard of dirt roads.

We can use other settings, but by using these, we can get the "Low Tire" symbol on the dash to go out.

The Adam Blaster

Expedition Leader
I would be quite careful about airing down with that heavy of a load - the tires will heat up a lot faster when not at full inflation pressures.
I think 45-50 psi would be about as low as I would be willing to go. And don't drive too fast when aired down.

jebers53

Observer
I would be quite careful about airing down with that heavy of a load - the tires will heat up a lot faster when not at full inflation pressures.
I think 45-50 psi would be about as low as I would be willing to go. And don't drive too fast when aired down.

Anything faster then 5mph would be awesome on those washboard roads so if I could go from 5 to 20mph would be worth the time to airup, worried about popping bead, wonder if the tire manufacture would have a minimum formula for the load wt.?

I run the same size tires on my Ford Excursion.

Smokey Wren, a moderator over at TheDieselStop.com, found the attached table from Goodyear several years ago. View attachment LoadInflLTMetric.pdf

My understanding is that the numbers are the same across manufacturers for the same size tire.

If your tires all carry 2,500 lbs, you need about 60 psi per tire. If your weight is not balanced you need to adjust the pressure accordingly.

Personally, I run my Excursion around 60 psi to reduce rolling friction. I run between 9000 and 9500 lbs loaded with my kids and cargo. Based on the table, I could get by safely on 45 to 50 psi.

I do run about 35 psi to drive on Forest Service or other long washboard or rough roads. It greatly improves the ride for the passengers. I am not driving 80 mph for long distances. Just 25 to 40 mph (maybe 50 mph).

You have to be really careful when you do get back to paved roads to drive with care. Everything is squishy. :smiley_drive: I carry a 12V compressor, a cheap one from Costco, air up my tires when I get back to pavement.

Hope this helps.

steve

grizzlyj

Tea pot tester
Hi

I've been told Michelin say to take the max load for the tyre, and divide it by the max pressure giving a weight per unit pressure, in my case 45.6kg/psi.

Knowing my actual travelling axle weights, for instance 12000lb on the rear axle, gives 60psi for the road, adding 5psi more for sustained highway use.

Offroad, half that, and for sand, a third, so 30psi dropping to 20.

Those figures tally with people I've met who have driven deserts in Morocco, Oman, Syria and Saudi as well as a round Africa couple.

Half pressure on my truck works well, but I would not go above 20mph, less at the lower pressure perhaps. It doesn't become a totally smooth ride or allow more speed IMHO, but its a lot better for my bones and the truck!

I always air up before returning to tarmac speed which is a real pain. Get the biggest compressor you can run, or one each side perhaps, so you can hook them up with a high engine idle and go sit in the shade?!

Happy travels

:)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Deleman