Oh, oh..... Bad starter?

Zaphod

Adventurer
I'm stuck at work. My Trooper won't start.

Plenty of juice in the battery (12V before turning the key), but all that happens when I turn it is CLACK, then nothing.

Bad starter?

If so, how difficult to replace oneself? I don't have an Isuzu dealer or a reliable shop anywhere near me.

Thanks.

- Stranded in NJ.

robertdarin

Adventurer
it is a royal pain. it took me a long time(6 hours). Unbolt the down pipe and rotate the o2 sensor out of the way. it will come out it just takes some coaxing.(i would not wish this task on anyone)

Photog

Explorer
It started this morning. You should be able to coax it into starting now. The starter sounds like it is getting electric. The CLACK is probably the soloniod kicking the electric contacts and drivegear into place.

Either the electric contacts are not making contact, or the brushes for the starter are worn down and not making contact.

Try starting it, over & over. Give it about 2 seconds each time (this way you don't accidentally turn it off, in a hurry to try it again).

Try smacking it with something heavy, while trying to start it (2 people). This sometimes disslodges a stuck brush.

Try smacking and then starting (1 person).

Get your rig home, and fix it before venturing out again.

FourByLand

Expedition Leader
Similar thing happened to me Christmas week while I was wheeling at the mall while my wife ran into buy me a new flask (I'm not a drunk) anyway point being it's probably the starter, you will have to get a little dirty and crawl around underneath and see how accessible it is, you may have to go through the fender well. Order it, take a sip of your favorite and go to town.

Good Luck.

Zaphod

Adventurer
It was the BATTERY! Jump-start and off I went.

I am PISSED! I hoped an Optima Yellow Top would last longer than two years!

jl8088

Adventurer
wow a 2 year yellow-top. Terrible!!!! I have one too and now i'm worried.

....a battery is way cheaper and easier to replace than the starter. My starter went at 98,000.

mauricio_28

Adventurer
A weak or worn battery can still show 12V. More important than the voltage is the battery's ability to deliver the high, nearly instantaneous jolt of current required by the starter. Measuring the voltage of a battery tells you little about its ability to jolt the starter when you turn the key.

Last edited:

Zaphod

Adventurer
Oh. Bummer. Here I was thinking I was all smart for having installed a voltmeter in the truck. :(

Well, the rig is home now, so I'll pull the battery and have it tested. Will advise.

Grim Reaper

Expedition Leader
Still may be starter related. My bet is it has a NiponDenso starter. They achilles heal is the contacts in the Solenoid. DO NOT GET A EXPENSIVE REBUILT STARTER. The Solenoid kit is $20.
If you local part store cant get it then go here:
http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/default.aspx
Somebody posted a really nice starter rebuild thread on the Forum. Search and you should find it.

Zaphod

Adventurer
Well, now I'm completely confused....

Three days go by with the truck just sitting in my driveway. I decide to try and start it.

VROOOOM! :Wow1:

I'm still going to have the battery tested, but I'd be lying if I said I didn't sit there open-mouthed when it started up without a hitch.....

Photog

Explorer
Sounding more like the solenoid. Sometimes it starts, & sometimes it does not start.

Have the battery checked, to make sure it is OK, and fix the electrical parts inside the starter. Then you can trust the equipment once again.:)

Incusus

Adventurer
This sounds terribly familiar. I was having random weirdness starting the trooper over the course of a few weeks, everything from not starting to hard starting to only starting with a jump. Eventually I got in, turned the key, and nothing, just the click from the relay. I replaced the relay fuse (blown) the relay (just in case), cleaned the a/t range sensor, tested the ignition switch, all nothing. Turns out it was indeed the starter, fired right up after replacement.

Its super-cramped under there.

If you decide to do the job yourself and don't relish taking the exhaust, etc off, try a trick I found over at planet isuzoo from a rodeo guy: undo the wiring and unbolt the starter from the vehicle, then using a 10mm wrench, remove the solenoid from the starter. pull that from the truck, then use an 8mm wrench to remove the cylinderical half of the starter and pull from the truck. Theres a cap over the 3 gears on the remaining piece, remiove that (pull) then maneuver the remaining part from the truck.

Install is exactly the opposite- take your new starter apart (Carefully!), push each piece in and reassemble one at a time. Just be careful not to lose the little gear bearing things, glue em down with grease or something. Then bolt the reassembled unit to the truck.

Total time (including messing around with the exhaust before giving in and trying this): 2.5 hours.

datrupr

Expedition Leader
The started died on my Trooper at about 90K or so. It died in the parking lot of a circle k. I had it towed to my friendly local mechanic, and while the starter itself was not expensive per se, the total bill was just over $600 to have it fixed. Most of that cost was labor because it is in a real PIA spot to get to.

Juntura

Observer
I just experienced a similar situation- hard start and needing a jump to all of a sudden nothing. I have never had a starter just weld itself up like that. I checked all wiring and fuses, bought a new battery (needed on anyway), and still nothing.

I usually do my own work, but it was 10 degrees and snowing, so I called a shop. New starter installed $450. I was ok paying for that as long as I had the problem isolated- nothing worse than paying the shop to 'track down' the problem.

Starts good now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior