OME Leaf Springs for 89-95 XtraCab Trucks

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
TRDPARTS4U said:
Hey Dave,
Which bushing kits are you using? SB43?

I seem to remember having to use the SB88 bushing kit(for OME greasable shackles) SB89 kit for factory shackles. as well as the sb43 kit when I tried to run these springs on my early Taco.

Jacque
Yes SB43, the kit that I think is listed for the application (1991 XtraCab). Measuring things, it looks like both top and bottom bolts on the shackle are 18mm eye size. Marlin and other's shackles look to be 18mm bolts on both sides. Those would work I think. The shortest I can get is 5", which is 1.5" longer than stock and that should be good. I was running 1.5" springs with 2.5" longer than stock Downey shackles (6" eye-to-eye) before, so with the stiffer springs I shouldn't have a ton more lift than before.

shackles_rear_500.jpg

cruiseroutfit

Supporting Sponsor: Cruiser Outfitters
DaveInDenver said:
Got my CS019R and D6XL springs to make the equivalent of CS020R. The CS020R is not available from ARB at the moment, so I had to make my own. But assembling them I ran into a little hiccup. One of the D6XL leafs seems to have the center hole located off a bit, about an inch. How important is this?

Call the vendor you bought them from, they should replace it without an issue. If that doesn't work, call the tech guru's at ARB, they should get you taken care of without a hitch. First time I have seen that happen, you've got my luck :D

cruiseroutfit

Supporting Sponsor: Cruiser Outfitters
DaveInDenver said:
I do have a second question (and when ARB opens I will ask them, too). The bushing kit uses a sleeve on the front hanger, which is fine since that bolt is a 14mm. On the back the frame side bushings have a 18mm center diameter and that's also the same as stock. But the rear spring bushings at the bottom of the shackle are 14mm with a sleeve from the factory and OME's are 18mm with no sleeve. So the stock shackles and that replacement Downey ones I run won't work. Is there are a different bushing I should use or do I need to find (and spend even more money on) a different type of shackle with 18mm bolts top and bottom? I tried using an extra sleeve I have and these bushings do not seems to be designed to accept a sleeve, it will take some work to get sleeves to slide into them.

I know I've been through this before, but I can't remember how we worked through it, I want to say I used some of the bushings out of an SB6

Verify the locations of these bushings for me
(parts out of SB43 kit). These part numbers are stamped on the side of the bushing. This is for one spring.
2 - PT304 (19mm ID, 40mm minor OD)
2 - PT309 (18mm ID, 30mm minor OD)
2 - PT305 (19mm ID, 30mm minor OD)
1- Sleeve (14mm ID, 19mm OD) - You stated this is the fixed end, in the PT304 or PT305?

DaveInDenver

cruiseroutfit said:
I know I've been through this before, but I can't remember how we worked through it, I want to say I used some of the bushings out of an SB6

Verify the locations of these bushings for me
(parts out of SB43 kit). These part numbers are stamped on the side of the bushing. This is for one spring.
2 - PT304 (19mm ID, 40mm minor OD)
2 - PT309 (18mm ID, 30mm minor OD)
2 - PT305 (19mm ID, 30mm minor OD)
1- Sleeve (14mm ID, 19mm OD) - You stated this is the fixed end, in the PT304 or PT305?
My SB43 kit includes:
2 x PT309 (30mm OD, 18mm ID, ~75mm wide between bushing shoulders)
2 x PT231 (30mm OD, 18mm ID, ~60mm wide between shoulders)
2 x PT304 (40mm OD, 19mm ID, ~60mm wide between shoulders)
1 x sleeve for PT304

Based on the dimensions you give, the PT305 would substitute for my PT231 in the spring side bushing at the shackle. That would require an additional 14mm ID sleeve to work with my old stock shackles or the Downey ones I have currently. That has a 18mm upper/14mm lower bolt.

So my thinking is that the kit I have is completely correct for a 18mm/18mm shackle and I've ordered a set of those. Personally I'd prefer not to use the sleeves and so getting 18/18 shackles will avoid the need for one sleeve at least.

That might be a model year difference? Early trucks I believe used two 18mm bolts in the shackles from Toyota. I dunno, both of my stock bushings had sleeves in them and were big/little bolts. Just weirdness I guess.

Last edited:

DaveInDenver

Update to the thread.

Installed the extra D6XL lead in the CS019R pack. This puts me on 4 main leafs, with three more overloads underneath. Went with a set of Trail Gear shackles instead of Marlin's, same price for grease-able, so I figure what the heck. They are 5" long, shortest set offered (same for Marlin). They are 18mm bolts top and bottom.

The bushing kit OME lists is dead on for these shackles and the 14mm stock front bolt. Fits perfect.

Great match for my OME N85 heavy shocks. Trucks rides just a little stink bug with the WilderNest and no gear. It should settle down nice and flat with a regular load and maybe not even touch the first overload. It if does, it won't be riding on it all the time. That's with a typical weekend load. Longer trips with lots of water, maybe using the overloads more.

Couldn't be happier with the ride of the truck now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior