OME suspension for CJ's

logos

Observer
First, I have to say I've been lurking on here for about a year and have really enjoyed the wealth of knowledge. Thanks to everyone.

My question: I have a 1981 CJ-7 that currently has 33-12.5 BFG Mud Terrains. I'm currently working on swapping wagoneer Dana 44's front and rear and am looking at leaf springs. Has anyone ever ran 35-10.5 BFG Mud Terrains using Old Man EMU heavy duty YJ leaf springs? What would it take to run those springs and have a 35" tire? I like the 33's but may jump to 35's in the future.

Root Moose

Expedition Leader
You'd have to reconfigure the leaf spring hangers to work with the YJ leaves. They are wider (2.5" vs 2.0") and the hanger locations are different. If you can weld it is straight forward. IIRC the YJ has a wider frame so you will probably be into fabricating stanchions for the hangers to be located on. Google around, someone probably makes a kit for this so you don't have to re-invent the wheel.

OME stuff is 2.5" lift? In order to clear 35" tires you'll need to cut sheetmetal. I'm guessing that adding TJ flares for a finished look would get you real close but not quite enough clearance. You can always bump stop. Also some CJ purists don't like the look of TJ flares on a CJ. I'm more of the opinion that if it gets the job done and doesn't look like @$$ then it's fine.

I like it - good plan. :)

Last edited:

Waytec

Adventurer
I would also suggest tracking a local Jeep club down and seeing if anyone there, has don’t that conversion. It is a popular one to what I have seen

redbeard

Adventurer
There are kits out there for this. Includes spring hangers and such. If you did a Spring Over Axle, you can fit 35's. OME springs don't lift much, usually 1.5-3". If you go to 4wd.com and search for old man emu you will see the CJ kits.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mitch Bears