Options to insure a GXV Adventure Truck XT?

FaronFaulk

Hey I have some newbie questions. We're hoping to pick this sort of thing quickly.
The first thing is insurance.

We'll be using this part time, likely PT through the rest of 2024, then planning for full time after that (for an undetermined time)
What's the best way to insure this vehicle? I called Good Sam, and they said they couldn't help me. The guy said he had never heard of this sort of vehicle.
The online quote from Progressive seems reasonable.
Are there other insurers you would recommend?

thanks!
Faron

FaronFaulk

We've called Good Sam and Progressive, and both said they cannot cover this vehicle.
We're on the phone with Progressive Commercial, the person at the regular Progressive number said they might be able to cover us.
Progressive commercial said no, and Geico also said they can't insure this.
RVInsurance also said no.
I never imagined getting insurance for this would be so much trouble.

Last edited:

Howard70

Adventurer
A friend has his EarthCruiser insured through Progressive. I don't know the details. We have our EarthCruiser insured through State Farm along with our other vehicles and homeowners. I've heard that State Farm is more likely to insurance a unusual rig if your other coverage is with them and you have a good history.

EarthCruisers became easier to insure once there were more of them running about and they were included in several national databases. I think getting into those databases took a fair amount of effort on EarthCruiser's part. You might check with GXV to see if they've gotten the model into national databases and also ask them how other customers have insured.

Howard Snell

FaronFaulk

thanks Howard.
I am talking to GXV and they're helping me out, and I did get two quotes today, one through Thum and one through Charlotte Insurance (i just happen to live near Charlotte) and both of them were reasonably priced and both were written by Progressive.
I think the person at Progressive that we spoke with yesterday didn't know what they were talking about.
just curious-is your Earthcruiser in the US?
The reason I'm asking is because the person parked next to the Earthcruiser we saw at Powder Mountain UT last week said that was the *only* one in the USA, it's quite possible they were mistaken.
We also saw an Earthroamer SX there too. What a beautiful vehicle.
If everything goes according to plan, we'll pick up the Adventure Truck early next week, and saying we're excited would be a huge understatement. :)

BuckinghamBuilt

thanks Howard.
I am talking to GXV and they're helping me out, and I did get two quotes today, one through Thum and one through Charlotte Insurance (i just happen to live near Charlotte) and both of them were reasonably priced and both were written by Progressive.
I think the person at Progressive that we spoke with yesterday didn't know what they were talking about.
The reason I'm asking is because the person parked next to the Earthcruiser we saw at Powder Mountain UT last week said that was the *only* one in the USA, it's quite possible they were mistaken.
If everything goes according to plan, we'll pick up the Adventure Truck early next week, and saying we're excited would be a huge understatement. :)
Not sure why Progressive could not provide a quote if you have the price of the truck and paperwork for them to underwrite it. You may want to explain to them its basically a custom built Class C RV.

I toured Adventure Truck XT at Overland Expo was was impressed so its on my shortlist but curious, how long was your build time?

SimplyAnAdventure

Good morning.

I will suggest what I always suggest when these discussions come up. Get yourself an insurance agent. They’re absolutely invaluable in insuring one offs, special vehicles, offroad campers Ext…. When I picked up my Supertramp my agent was able to have it insured for $85k the day I arrived to pick it up for $642/yr. She provided me with several different options and we didn’t actually choose the least expensive since we wanted to keep all of our vehicles under the same umbrella.

The point is they will do all the heavy lifting for you. They have access to a variety of companies and can provide you with quotes from different insurers. I’d reach out to a good local agent that covers a wide variety of companies and see what they can do.

We insure our home, 2 normal vehicles, our F350 Tremor, with Supertramp (as recreational) a classic car, and even a tractor with them. A good agent will make your life so much more simple!

Good luck!

~SAA

Howard70

Adventurer
thanks Howard.
Glad you got some quotes. Yes our EarthCruiser is in the US. EarthCruiser USA has been producing EarthCruisers for the North American market since 2013 or so and there are over 100 of them in the US. They're located in Bend, Oregon.

Howard

FaronFaulk

Not sure why Progressive could not provide a quote if you have the price of the truck and paperwork for them to underwrite it. You may want to explain to them its basically a custom built Class C RV.

I toured Adventure Truck XT at Overland Expo was was impressed so its on my shortlist but curious, how long was your build time?
build time was 'as soon as we could get the $' :)
We're buying the AT XT that was their show vehicle (this one - ), it's got <10k miles, nearly all highway, taking it to shows mostly.

BuckinghamBuilt

build time was 'as soon as we could get the $' :)
We're buying the AT XT that was their show vehicle (this one - ), it's got <10k miles, nearly all highway, taking it to shows mostly.
Nice, its actually the unit I toured at Overland Expo East. You'll need to look very hard but somewhere in the rig I carved my forum username in one of the wood cabinets :LOL:

AZWanderer

Thanks for everyone's suggestions. We will be picking up a Wanderbox 29' build in April and I need to start getting quotes on the unit. I will share what I learn for the group.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior