Oregon to Alaska in a VW Camper, Podcast

AbleGuy

Officious Intermeddler
While this guy likely is not an Expoer, I thought some of you might enjoy this travel podcast.

At the least it might inspire others to take the same trip or help folks already planning this type of adventure.

https://www.oregonlive.com/podcasts...ortland-to-alaska-peak-northwest-podcast.html

An epic road trip from Portland to Alaska: Peak Northwest podcast​

By
Peak Northwest Alaska Road Trip

Scenes from a massive road trip from Portland to the southeast corner of Alaska, through the dramatic landscapes of western Canada.Dave Killen/The Oregonian
There are tons of incredible road trips in the Pacific Northwest.

You can loop the Olympic Peninsula, drive the length of the Oregon coast, cruise the Cascade Mountains or head out to the treasures of the high desert.

A road trip to Alaska is on a whole other level.

On this week’s episode of Peak Northwest we talk with our colleague, photographer Dave Killen, who made the epic trip from Portland to Alaska with his partner and their two dogs in a vintage Volkswagen bus he rebuilt himself.

The three-week excursion was full of good hiking, incredible scenery and a lifetime of memories.

How, exactly, do you go about planning a trip of this magnitude?

And is it a reasonable excursion for the everyday Northwest adventurer?

Here are some highlights from this week’s show:
  • Why choose a road trip to Alaska?
  • There are a couple different routes to get up there.
  • What were some of the most scenic places along the way?
  • Seeing (or hearing) wildlife is bound to happen in this part of the country.
  • Are there any challenges specific to this kind of trip?
Here’s the full episode:

Subscribe to Peak Northwest on Apple Podcasts, Google Podcasts, Spotify or anywhere you listen to podcasts.

-- Jamie Hale and Vickie Connor

(Pls pardon any confusion caused by voice to text issues)

1000arms

I hate this subscribe ****************.... post the adventure HERE on overlandbound or go home.

I call this an unsolicitated ad and it should be blocked.

:unsure: ... Are you aware that this thread was created, by a frequently-contributing ExPo member, for ExPo members?

... Just me so 35L is plenty but I drive fast over rough roads and the cooler is a disaster, I tried a layer of beer cans on the bottom but they have zero durability on their side so I doubled the number of beers I pack to stand them up and that worked wonders. ...

:unsure: ... Perhaps I have located the source of the problem? ... :cool:

Last edited:

stevo_pct

I hate this subscribe ****************.... post the adventure HERE on overlandbound or go home.

I call this an unsolicitated ad and it should be blocked.

Dude, settle down. Also, you don't need to subscribe. You can listen to this on Spotify for free (and probably other services). You can also just listen right from the link he posted above.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior