our new camping and tow rig, 2013 f150

jeep-N-montero

Expedition Leader
Back in October I posted about my search for an f150, after a few months of searching I found a 2013 Lariat the first week of January. It was a one owner with 68k miles, 6.5 ft bed, supercrew with front bench seat, two-tone white with tan trim, and no sunroof. This combination is very rare and was exactly what I wanted, the sunroofs tend to be problematic and the leather bench seat uses heater elements instead of the ducting and doesn't have to wait for the engine to warm up to heat your hiney. At first I was leaning toward the 5.0 due to being a simpler engine and less likely to overheat going slow, but couldn't find what I wanted before I found this one, but did opt for an extended warranty. So far I have done a tune-up and don't plan to do much under the hood, this truck already has enough power to make me smile. Main purpose of the truck will be to haul a slide-in camper while towing our boat, so I found a set of newer wheels with load E ko2's mounted in the classifieds and swapped them over, lost about one mpg with the heavier tires but worth it. In the garage I have the Bilstein 5100 leveling kit, Timbren SES rear suspension upgrade, Hellwig sway bar, and AVS hood deflector plus window visors. The camper only weighs 1295 pounds, but we do get random wind gusts in the canyons and want things to stay stable and boring when towing the boat. My goal is 11-12mpg with the cruise set at 65-70. The same week we bought the truck we also bought my wife an Outback Touring and the truck rides smoother and quieter than her Outback. Here are a few pictures, the picture parked in front of the house is the day I brought it home and the others are with the newer wheels/tires.

Attachments

• 20200101_145030_resized.jpg
    20200101_145030_resized.jpg
    283.9 KB · Views: 31
  • 20200201_214942_resized.jpg
    20200201_214942_resized.jpg
    242.8 KB · Views: 32
  • 20200201_214956_resized.jpg
    20200201_214956_resized.jpg
    252.6 KB · Views: 33
  • 20200205_170057_resized.jpg
    20200205_170057_resized.jpg
    247.5 KB · Views: 33

phsycle

Adventurer
How heavy is your boat? I think 11-12mpg is a bit optimistic. I’d bet you’re closer to 8-9. But that Ecoboost will have power for days.

jeep-N-montero

Expedition Leader
How heavy is your boat? I think 11-12mpg is a bit optimistic. I’d bet you’re closer to 8-9. But that Ecoboost will have power for days.

Boat and trailer together weigh about 4500 pounds. At this point anything better than the 8.7 mpg the Yukon was getting towing the boat will make me happy. I know that with just the camper we were seeing 15.2 mpg at 76 mph with a bit of wind, we will see.

givemethewillys

Jonathan Chouinard
You found the exact truck configuration that I'm planning on getting, except I'd like a 2017+. Its definitely a tough one to find. It sounds like you even have similar goals to mine as far as your usage. I want a pop-up slide-in, but for now I've compromised on a small tow behind rpod.

I'm looking forward to following along on this one!

jeep-N-montero

Expedition Leader
You found the exact truck configuration that I'm planning on getting, except I'd like a 2017+. Its definitely a tough one to find. It sounds like you even have similar goals to mine as far as your usage. I want a pop-up slide-in, but for now I've compromised on a small tow behind rpod.

I'm looking forward to following along on this one!
Not sure where you are located but this could be worth a look https://cars.ksl.com/listing/6323537?ad_cid=7

D

Deleted member 9101

I'd still throw a tune on just to fix Ford's horrible trans shifting and spongee pedal.
That is an unusual combo of options.
I assume it has Select Shift as well where you can lock out gears?
+1 for a tune.

The EcoBoost is a good motor stock...properly tuned they are incredible motors.

jeep-N-montero

Expedition Leader
I'd still throw a tune on just to fix Ford's horrible trans shifting and spongee pedal.
That is an unusual combo of options.
I assume it has Select Shift as well where you can lock out gears?

I do plan to get a mild tune mostly for the shifting, it does leave a bit to be desired in that aspect.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taunger