Ouray, CO 9.15 - 9.17

ckkone

Explorer
Day 1 - We headed out on Sat. at 10:30am, stopped in Price for lunch and pulled into Ouray at 5:30pm. The wife wasn't keen on taking the one year old camping so we opted to stay at The Main Street house B&B, this actually turned out to be a good thing as the weather was marginal. After getting the rig unloaded and a short siesta we hit the town of Ouray taking in the views and buying some souvenirs for our dog sitters. On the way back to the B&B we ran into our first glimpse of wildlife, a huge buck eating some poor cat’s food. As it turned out this buck is blind and some crazy woman has taken it upon herself to care for this creature. We called it an early night as most of day 2 would be spent on the trails.

Day 2 - Woke up early, cooked a big breakfast and got the girls cleaned up, out the door by 9am for a full day of exploring. We headed up Red Mountain Pass out of Ouray and arrived at the Ophir Pass trailhead, aired the tires down a little to soften the ride and headed up the mountain. As I mentioned the weather was marginal and as we started up the trail the sun was out, however by the time we reached the summit you could tell that was going to quickly change. By the time we reached the town of Ophir (not actually sure that is the name of the town) it was a torrential downpour. From there we took hwy 145 into Telluride, we took in a quick lunch and got back on the road. Sometime during lunch the rain had stopped so we decided rather than taking in the town that we would get back on 145 and try Last Dollar Rd (this is more less a long gravel road but it does have some great views of Telluride and the San Juan’s). Last Dollar Rd eventually meets up with Hwy 62 that takes you to Ridgeway, where we picked up Hwy 550 and made our way by to Ouray. By the time we got back to Ouray it was 4:30pm and the ladies were beat, so I dropped them off at the B&B and headed up Yankee Boy Basin solo. As I headed up Yankee Boy the rains came back with a vengeance; however that wasn’t going to stop me from snapping a few pictures. By the time I reached the top the rains had stopped, so on the way down it was time to try my luck at panning for gold. I know there is gold in that river but I think my form was wrong and unfortunately I’ll have to keep my day job as I didn’t find any gold. After that I called it a day and headed back to the B&B.

Day 3 – We had to be out of the B&B by 11am so woke up early got the rig packed and headed out. My wife had been dreaming of Chick-fil-A since we passed it in Grand Junction on the way to Ouray, so we made that our stop for lunch. After that I decided to leave some more money in CO with the local Highway Patrol, they got me for 86 in a 75. The fuzz thought I should have known better that my Speedo was off due to bigger tires and he wasn’t buying my bull****. $77 was the fine; however I did learn that if my cruise is at 80 than I’m actually going 86, and here I had just thought everyone was driving really slowly. We made it back to SLC around 5:30pm.

Ouray is a great place; I will definitely go back and spend some more time exploring.

Enjoy the pics:

http://www.klinzing.com/chris/ouray/

Edit: Pics seem to be loading slowly...I will fix that tonight...

Last edited:

kcowyo

ExPo Original
There's a Chick-fil-A in Grand Junction?!!? :jumping:

Great photos from your trip. Ouray is one cool little town. Can't blame you for hustling to get through GJ.

durangodds

Adventurer
At least you made it through Wellington both ways without getting a ticket. I've contributed to the town coffers there a lot over the years.

ckkone

Explorer
Yo Tim (SOAZ), was that you I saw on Monday heading into Ouray. Sorry I didn't wave I was in a zone...:rockon:

Pskhaat

2005 Expedition Trophy Champion
  • You have way too little stuff about the cab of the Hundy considering you travel with 2 wee ones. I am now embarrassed to show any pictures of the inside of mine on trips.
  • Beware the educated officers around those hills, they know their vehicles and mods :)
  • That chick-fil-a joint about consumes the monthly fuel budget every visit. Can you believe those prices? yummy stuff, but...

durango_60

Explorer
Great pics. I truly love this area on a cloudy, misty day.

pskhaat said:
  • You have way too little stuff about the cab of the Hundy considering you travel with 2 wee ones. I am now embarrassed to show any pictures of the inside of mine on trips.

You shouldn't be embarrassed about the amount of stuff you haul when you've got the boys, it's the trips when your alone that I have always questioned...

BogusBlake

2006 Expedition Trophy Champion
I was in the area on Saturday night and Sunday too. That rain was cool. I think I might have seen you or SOAZ on hwy 550 Sunday morning. I camped up at Clear Lake at the recommendation of Durango60.

Pskhaat

2005 Expedition Trophy Champion
durango_60 said:
the trips when your alone that I have always questioned...

...says the man who lost a through-bolt on his front control arm and had to salvage one from me...

SOAZ

Tim and Kelsey get lost..
ckkone said:
Yo Tim (SOAZ), was that you I saw on Monday heading into Ouray. Sorry I didn't wave I was in a zone...:rockon:

HAHA! just sent you a PM. It was me. I saw you and my brain couldn't work fast enough to flash the lights so I just waived. We were headed down to do engineer, cinnamon and poughkeepsie. :arabia:
Looks like you had a great time!
I'm going to try and post some pics tonight!

SOAZ

ckkone said:

Oh, BTW now I feel really lucky. I had a cop turn his lights on because I was about 5 over the limit and as soon as I slowed he waived. I got lucky!:wings:

ckkone

Explorer
You got snowed on :jumping: , wish I would have had one more day there I would have done that Alpine Loop as well.

SOAZ

ckkone said:
You got snowed on :jumping: , wish I would have had one more day there I would have done that Alpine Loop as well.

I'll try and do the write up at least in part tonight. We did a fair amount of snow driving on monday, but when I drove out on Tuesday there were a ton of things I still wanted to see! Definately going to make a trip back.

SOAZ

BogusBlake said:
I was in the area on Saturday night and Sunday too. That rain was cool. I think I might have seen you or SOAZ on hwy 550 Sunday morning. I camped up at Clear Lake at the recommendation of Durango60.
I was in my green 4runner. We were all over. Did just about every trail in the "offroad" book for that area.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mitch Bears