Overland Recovery Kit

LR Max

Local Oaf
I think more importantly than kit is having a bag to put it all in. A bag with built in strap-like-thingies so you don't have to forage around for bungees are ratchet straps, etc. Throw it in, pull out the straps, strap it down, good to go.

Better yet, I'd like to see a tow strap that has a built in thingie to that I can leave it on my front bumper or something like that. Recovery kit doesn't work for crap if its locked in the back and you can't get to it.

Add to that, have the words "THIS END TO IDIOT" near one of the loops. You know, instructions on the tow strap :p

So if we were to build a specific kit for over-landing what would you need? I figure 2 or 3 blocks, a 30 ft tow rope, a few shackles, tree saver, winch extension, anything else?

-Alex

Add a kinetic snatch strap and you're probably golden.

I haven't finished my own kit yet, but I am thinking for my personal use-
3 blocks
2x 4"x20' tow strap/tree saver
3"x30' tow strap
winch extension
5 shackles
1"x30' kinetic strap

Master-Pull

Supporting Sponsor
We use kinetic tow ropes instead of straps for a few reasons. Mainly because when you stretch a rope you are compressing the weave whereas stretching a strap means actually stretching out the fibers that make up the strap. It is also nice since we can splice rope that you don't have to worry about the stitching wearing out like you would on a strap.

The last item on your list, the 1" x 30' kinetic strap, do you mean a 1" rope instead? I have never seen a 1" strap that I would trust to anything more then holding a tire down.

-Alex

Eventhough

Explorer
What's a good kit for us winch challenged individuals?

Depends on what you want to do. Will you be traveling with other vehicles that could pull you out or will you be traveling alone or in a situation where you will need to extricate yourself with a Hi-Lift, MAXTRAX, or similar?

Master-Pull

Supporting Sponsor
A sand channel of some sort will work great for you if you end up traveling alone, or if you are in a group then you could look into a tow rope kit.

-Alex

We use kinetic tow ropes instead of straps for a few reasons. Mainly because when you stretch a rope you are compressing the weave whereas stretching a strap means actually stretching out the fibers that make up the strap. It is also nice since we can splice rope that you don't have to worry about the stitching wearing out like you would on a strap.
Wow, I never knew that! Guess I'm going to head down that road from now on, excellent info!

The last item on your list, the 1" x 30' kinetic strap, do you mean a 1" rope instead? I have never seen a 1" strap that I would trust to anything more then holding a tire down.

-Alex

I was referencing your 1" super yanker rope you guys sell on your site.

CYi5

Explorer
I also support a build it yourself package. I've seen one website attempt it, but their interface was hardly user friendly.

LR Max

Local Oaf
Easy. All you need is a 30ft tow strap, 2 shackles and a receiver hitch in its own little carry bag. Keep the price low, say like, $60 and call it the "starter kit" or something. Inside the bag, have special pouches to put the shackles in. Also make said bag waterproof so when your tow strap is all nasty, it won't leak out and into the car.

Also put straps on it so it can be carried on a bull bar or a spare tire or something like that. That way it will be handy when needed instead of buried under 5,000,000 lbs of crap in the back.

It will be cost effective for everyone, handy and handle 97% of all recovery needs.

Surfy

Adventurer
I`m one of these guys who have to buy a complete new set, because i`m starting to offroad with my own vehicle.

At first: i dont want to build my own Kit with components - when i`m able to find a good kit....

At first i look @ the ARB Premium Recovery Kit, bit for my 3.3to car this may not be strong enough. Then i saw a HD Kit from ARB, but that has stuff i dont want, at sample a chuckle...

Now i endet up with the TCM HD Kit, which fits best for me. This thread was interessting for me, i dont thought about a selfrecovery with serverall shackles ;-) In the situation i will had used a snatch block, und get the cable under the car :Wow1:

enzo

Explorer
I`m one of these guys who have to buy a complete new set, because i`m starting to offroad with my own vehicle.

At first: i dont want to build my own Kit with components - when i`m able to find a good kit....

At first i look @ the ARB Premium Recovery Kit, bit for my 3.3to car this may not be strong enough. Then i saw a HD Kit from ARB, but that has stuff i dont want, at sample a chuckle...

Now i endet up with the TCM HD Kit, which fits best for me. This thread was interessting for me, i dont thought about a selfrecovery with serverall shackles ;-) In the situation i will had used a snatch block, und get the cable under the car :Wow1:

LOL que?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JCCB1998