Overland Route - East Texas 450 Loop

ramblinChet

East Texas 450 Loop

by Chet Szymecki​

The East Texas 450 Loop is a 450-500 mile adventure that can last from three to seven days depending upon how often you stop to explore other sites along the way. Approximately 75% of the time is spent on dirt or gravel roads whereas the remaining 25% is spent on mostly two-land paved roads. Even though I began and ended in Livingston, this is a loop route so it is easy to jump in or out at any given point. The scenery is very different when compared to much of the rest of Texas and my goal is to slowly run the same route again in a few years and really explore the surrounding small cities and beautiful countryside.

Here is a map of the 450 mile track as published by TX:GX Overland in this article. A link to the KML file can be found here.

map.jpg

Last edited:

ramblinChet

Here I am a few hours into beginning my adventure on the East Texas 450 Loop which passes through three National Forests in east Texas.
image000000(187).jpg

As you can see from this first trail picture heading north towards the Davy Crockett National Forest, east Texas is significantly different when compared to central and south Texas. This has been an absolutely beautiful drive so far. My research has indicated there are some wet areas and with the recent storms I am confident I will see some sloppy and slippery miles.
image000000(189).jpg

My first night camping deep in the forest alone once again - it has been too long. During the night I listened to a thunder storm roll in from far away. The night was very quiet with no wind for the first few hours. Later on I could hear distant thunder and see flashes of lightening. Then, far away I began to hear the wind roll into the forest like a runaway freight train. As the thunder, lightening, and wind became closer they all became louder and more prominent. Then the rain began and intensified - for the better part of an hour it yelled and screamed and threw everything it could at the forest. Ultimately, the storm passed and everything settled down once again. In the morning I awoke to a quiet and peaceful forest with the birds chirping and the sun struggling to stand tall. It was a new day and I was back where I have always belonged - deep in the forest.
image000000(188).jpg

When heavy thunderstorms pass though the forest you can expect mud in areas, and if you hit the trail early, downed trees in others. For those who travel occasionally, looking for an alternate route might be the best option. For those who travel full time, it is best to be prepared to deal with unexpected situations such as this. I carry two handsaws since I generally have unlimited time to clear a path, they never run out of gas, and they are quiet. For nearly a decade I have carried a Silky BIGBOY 2000 and Silky GOMBOY 240 folding handsaws which are made in Japan and function very well.
image000000(190).jpg

First I clean up the short and long shoots on the trunk since it is generally easier to accomplish before moving the tree. Beware of shoots under load - once you cut through them they quickly release their stored energy. Here I cut one side and then used my Warn 16.5ti winch and AEV Full-Size Trail Recovery Kit to move the tree out of the way. One of these days I will decide on which logging chain choker would be best for me and I will add one to my kit. Another tool I have been considering adding would be an electric chain saw. It seems they have improved over the years and I must sit down to consider if I am willing to forfeit that much room and add the additional weight for something that is infrequently used.
image000000(191).jpg

Again, the East Texas 450 Loop is a beautiful drive with miles of lush green foliage so stop and enjoy if you are nearby.
image000000(192).jpg

Finding a place to sleep in the Sabine National Forest proved to be a bit more difficult compared to normal. It's my fault though since I pushed hard during the day, performed little research on where to sleep, and arrived after dark. This is the next morning and to be honest with you - this appears to be a fairly new road cut into the forest where they are installing residential power lines. I was tired and continuing to drive was becoming increasingly dangerous so I located a spot to tuck in and shut down for the night. Early in the morning it was boots and saddles and I was back on the trail.
image000000(199).jpg

Here is a washed out bridge on Forest Road 111 just south of Hemphill, Texas. When I come upon something unexpected such as this the first thing I do it to slow down the decision making process by parking my rig, making sure the area is safe, and then walking around to take a look at the issue from various angles and consider all the available options. Many people unnecessarily rush to solve a problem only to sometimes select a poor solution or worse yet, compound the problem and make it worse.
image000000(195).jpg

Here is a quick go-around that initially appeared to be an option although following my examination of the nearby trees and trail I decided it was not a good option. The trail was uneven which would place the top of my camper precariously close to trees and might result in damage. The mud was softer than expected - note how the front tire is sinking already.
image000000(194).jpg

Upon closer examination the opposing side was very slick and the mud and water hole were filled with many short sticks that were apparently thrown in to increase traction. I am not a fan of sticks since I have experienced damage from them in the distant past. I saw a picture once of a longer stick that penetrated the firewall on a Jeep and went right into the drivers seat - while the driver was driving down a dark trail at night. After considering my options I opted for backtracking a few miles, jumping on a parallel paved road, and driving around the washed out bridge. It may have taken an additional twenty minutes but it was the safest option and I have nothing to prove regarding my off-road ability. Yes, I could have waded into the mud to clear the sticks and winched my way through possibly damaging my trail but why when there is a better option do nearby?
image000000(196).jpg

Last edited:

ramblinChet

On some part of the trail the type of mud varied considerably. The worst parts had a mixture of mud, clay, and pine straw - yuk!!! If you have ever walked or wheeled in the slippery mix you will understand what I am talking about when I say it sticks to your shoes and they begin to each weight ten pounds while it also cakes up on your tires and they become slicks. It happens to MTs also since I have experienced similar mud in Florida decades ago.
image000000(193).jpg

At nearly 400 miles into the loop I took advantage of the Boykin Spring Campground in the Angelina National Forest for a proper camping spot with flush toilets and warm showers. This is a seldom used campground in beautiful condition with a standard price of $10 per night or $5 per night for seniors, those with an access pass, etc. This campground was an old Civilian Conservation Corps location built by hard working men.
image000000(198).jpg

Another CCC creation at this campground are these series of waterfalls coming down off of Boykin Spring Lake. It was so relaxing listening to the falling water as a relaxed at the camp. Just a few more miles to go and we will be complete with the East Texas 450 Loop and it has been much fun so far. I would estimate that 75% has been dirt or gravel roads with maybe 20% being smooth pavement. The remaining 5% has been broken pavement that has been so rough you might as well consider it a trail.
image000000(197).jpg

Let's start off with another heavy thunderstorm in the middle of the night. I have been resting well so staying awake for a few minutes to take some pictures sounded fun. Here is a picture of a lightening strike nearby on a dark and stormy night. The red glow originates from the temperature reading on my National Luna refrigerator and it is really not as bright as it appears in the pictures. These exposures were for several seconds.
image000000(200).jpg

Here is the final section of the East Texas 450 Loop which required me to stop the vehicle and take a walk to assess the conditions ahead. This is County Road 265 just east of Chester, Texas. This section was so slippery and mushy it required four wheel drive. I walked ahead and followed a slight downgrade for several hundred yards which was followed by an equally slippery upgrade. I set my pride aside with a big smile and selected a short go around.
image000000(202).jpg

There is a tire in there somewhere. Much like an earlier section of the loop, this was a mixture of mud, clay, and pine straw that was heavy and very slippery. I could have easily made it down to the bottom but climbing the slight incline on the other side for a few hundred yards may have turned into a prolonged winching exercise. Electric winches are great for short pulls but not long duration ones. Decades ago I ran in an area that required continuous winching at times for several hours in duration. For that vehicle I specifically selected a Mile Marker hydraulic winch which never stopped running and ran cool. Happy trails!
image000000(203).jpg

Last edited:

SC4ws

Another great report Chet! Although, I doubt I could convince my wife to go back into the east Texas forests after our last spider encounter. As they say, everything’s bigger…

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior