Overland Route - Georgia Adventure Trail

ramblinChet

Georgia Adventure Trail

by Chet Szymecki​

A recent adventure was the Georgia Adventure Trail which is a 580+ mile long overland trail running from the northern border with North Carolina, to the southern border with Florida. If I were to summarize the trail I would break it into three distinct 200 mile sections: north which is mountainous with mostly dirt and gravel, central which is occasionally hilly with dirt and clay, and south which is flat and sandy. One recommendation - run the trail beginning in the south and head north so the sun is always on your back.

Many thanks to Tony (Vman1313 Adventures) for all of the time and effort in creating this and many other adventure trails in Georgia and Alabama. You can find his website here with over a dozen separate overland trails.
GAT 00.jpg

Last edited:

ramblinChet

My adventure began on the North Carolina/Georgia border which is right in the middle of the Nantahala and Chattahoochee-Oconee National Forests. My recommendation is to always top-off fuel tanks as close to the beginning of the trail as possible. Once I am below one-half tank I begin to check my maps for stations not far off the trail. Once I hit one-quarter of a tank, my primary mission becomes refueling. In the first miles I crossed paths with a group of dual-sport riders and also enjoyed a few water crossings. Total water crossing for this trail were around a dozen with few being 6-12" deep whereas most were just a few inches.
GAT 01.jpg

This was a beautiful time of the year for this area. Here is a picture of the huge boulders and trees along the Tallulah River. I spend much time in the mountains and it is unusual to come across many boulders the size of a large truck or small house - they were amazing.
GAT 02.jpg

Despite being in the mountains, there were small farms and fields scattered throughout the area. The soil was rich and the vegetation lush. Sections of the trail were slightly overgrown but these were soft plants so no worries regarding scratches.
GAT 03.jpg

Here is a fine example of one of the many trails I explored along the northern section of the route. The trail was fairly smooth in most sections and at time you could cruise along at 25-35 mph if necessary. I battled between making time to complete the trail in three days and taking time to slow down and enjoy.
GAT 04.jpg

Near the end of day one I noticed I was not covering as many miles as I needed to so after enjoying a wonderful steak and asparagus dinner cooked in the forest - I decided to exercise my recent lighting upgrades and perform some night driving. The picture below does not accurately represent the obscene amount of light being displayed by my Diode Dynamics 30" light bar and SS3 ditch lights. It is nice to be able to see in the dark again on the trail. Another older adventure vehicle of mine, a 2002 Jeep TJ with a James Baroud rooftop tent, has always had IPF headlight upgrades with rally lights.
GAT 05.jpg

This is another beautiful section of the trial inside Scull Shoals Experimental Forest near Athens, Georgia.
GAT 06.jpg

Just east of Macon, Georgia, there are sections of the trail that are clearly marked as challenging. If you remember earlier I mentioned the central section of the adventure trail is somewhat hilly with that famous red Georgia clay. When the clay is wet you might as well be on wet ice - it is really slick. What makes it even worse is once you slide off the side of the road and are stuck, your tires begin digging into this slick heavy clay and you will make a something bad even worse. Although I was alone, it was dry so I decided to give it a try.
GAT 07.jpg

For those visiting from other parts of the country, there are a few types of venomous snakes in Georgia such as the Cottonmouth, Copperhead, and Diamondback and Timber rattlesnakes. There is no need to be afraid of these snakes but you must be respectful of them. Most snakes will provide many clues related to how afraid they are of you and if you continue to scare them, they may strike at you. If you are bit by a venomous snake and are able to seek medical assistance within a few hours, you should live.

While in the military, I attended a variety of survival schools where snakes and such were discussed. In one tropical survival school the civilian snake expert that was part of the curriculum, informed us that 99% of the snake bites he knows of originated from one particular demographic group: young men partying out in the forest. He reasoned that when young men are drunk and in large groups, stupid things happen like, "hey, watch me catch this snake!" This Timber was fine just fine with me as I came across him on the road - I respected him and he was in no fear. If he coiled up, began rattling his tail, and hissed, he is just telling me that he is scared and it's time for me to back away.
GAT 08.jpg

ramblinChet

If you recall, recently I removed my OEM backup camera from the tailgate that has been in storage and installed it on the back door of my Four Wheel Camper. I forgot how nice it was to see what was in back of you while backing up in the forest with a camper on the rear of your vehicle!
GAT 09.jpg

This was an interesting section of the trail which cut trough a working forest where Southern Yellow Pine was being harvested and replanted. It was lunch time and there was a helicopter performing aerial spraying so I took time to eat and enjoy the aerial ballet. Not too far from here was a washed out bridge that had a really rough go around that I considered attempting. Since I was short on time and not interested in complicating things - I checked my map and found a proper go-around that only delayed me ten minutes. With the initial go around, the risk was moderate, the payoff was mild. I set my pride aside and made the correct choice, I opted for the proper go-around and continued on with only a ten minute delay and no damage.
GAT 10.jpg

Oh how I wish this picture was able to accurately capture this beautiful morning. When I awoke it appeared that each blade of grass was frozen into a crystal but when I realized it was above fifty degrees Fahrenheit, I smiled since it was just a heavy dew. It was a quiet field of wet grass shimmering in the morning sun. A new day had begun and I was nearing the end. I was in the southern section now which is mostly flat farmlands and sandy farm roads. The small farm towns reminded me of my travels throughout the flyover states in the mid-west.
GAT 11.jpg

One danger during high-noon on sandy backroads like this is being unable to identify washed out sections of the road. There were a few times that I would be moving along at 35 mph and unexpectedly come upon a washed out section hidden in the shadows. And again, traveling in a southerly direction made this even more difficult. One of the advantages of traveling at night with powerful lighting up front is being able to clearly identify the texture of the road ahead.
GAT 12.jpg

Down south cotton fields are common. And so are fire ants! Since I was driving into the sun most of the time I stopped occasionally to clean my windows. While finishing up my passenger window I noticed my feel were beginning to feel funny and sting. After a few more seconds I looked down and noticed I was standing atop a fire ant mound in sandals. It was not as funny at the time but looking back, what was I thinking!

Just in case you didn't know, cotton is a heliotropic plant which displays a solar tracking ability. God created an amazing world for us to enjoy - sometimes we just need to slow our lives down to enjoy the beauty He created.
GAT 13.jpg

The Georgia Adventure Trail was completed in three long days where I was able to cover 678 miles in over 22 hours of actual drive time with an average speed of 30 mph. That was too fast compared to my normal pace but I had a hard deadline to meet since I was supporting my son racing at Daytona International Speedway.

It was an even bigger day for him though since he was planning to propose to his girlfriend, Kelsie. My son, Chet III, is a strong young man who enjoys loading himself up with heavy lifts, struggling, and then enjoying the success. Like I have always told him, "the good would not feel so good unless that bad hurt so bad." He along decided to schedule his proposal on the same weekend as his championship race. He coordinated with Daytona and AMA/ASRA to make this all happen. Bravo Zulu son and thank God that Kelsie said yes!
GAT 14.jpg

My son took one first and two second places this race weekend but he won big in many other ways. His long term commitment and self-discipline resulted in him winning four regional championships and taking second overall in two others. The list is long but I can summarize it by saying that he competed in Supersport and Superbike events in multiple classes across several regions.

His biggest win is Kelsie though - the girl is an absolute angel and I am not quite sure how she is able to put up with him, lol.
GAT 15.jpg

Far too may people never actually live life - we just follow a path others have designated, we play by their rules, and expect some glorious retirement where we will be rewarded for all of our pain and suffering along the way. The sad thing is, some of us never make it that far, and many that do, are unable to enjoy retirement as we had planned. I jumped our of helicopters without a parachute, I roadraced motorcycles, I quite the highest paying job I ever had and began driving around the country on dirt roads and disappearing into the mountains. I can truly say I have lived life and it appears my son has chosen the same path.

“There’s a lie that all drivers tell themselves. Death is something that happens to other people, and that’s how you find the courage to get in the car in the first place. The closer you are to death the more alive you feel. But more powerful than fear itself, is the will to win.” ~ James Hunt
GAT 16.jpg

A short video capturing this most beautiful moment - I wish you both a happy and wonderful life!

Last edited:

94-RUNNER

Over The Hill
Been on here many years and you sir have among the best trip reports and photos out there.
We are not so fortunate to take any trips for quite a few years now and for some time into the future due to health reasons.
Your reports all but splash the mud in the window of the truck and smell and hit us in the face. The clean smell of the woods in wilderness areas we used to travel are brought back to the front of my thoughts.
Thank you for bringing all of the almost forgotten wonderful memories of times traveling many backroads around the US. Some of the best memories of my life. Our hopes are in the future to make some more memories but for the time being we will gladly ride along online we you sir
Thank You

ramblinChet

Been on here many years and you sir have among the best trip reports and photos out there.
We are not so fortunate to take any trips for quite a few years now and for some time into the future due to health reasons.
Your reports all but splash the mud in the window of the truck and smell and hit us in the face. The clean smell of the woods in wilderness areas we used to travel are brought back to the front of my thoughts.
Thank you for bringing all of the almost forgotten wonderful memories of times traveling many backroads around the US. Some of the best memories of my life. Our hopes are in the future to make some more memories but for the time being we will gladly ride along online we you sir
Thank You

You made my day @94-RUNNER and I hope to spend time on the trail with you someday. Until then...I'll keep exploring and taking pictures!

94-RUNNER

Over The Hill
I'm glad sir !
I too would enjoy that immensely.
In the meantime I will live vicariously through your exploration reports and pictures.
Safe travels !

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior