Overland/Trail Expedition Planning Books and Resources

jscherb

Expedition Leader
Over the past dozen years or so I've done literally thousands of miles off-road, mostly in Colorado, Utah, Arizona and California. We make at least one and usually two trips out west each year to explore off-road because there's not much interesting off-road exploration possible in upstate NY. Most of the trail miles have been done in the LJ, but the Retro Wrangler pickup has been to Easter Jeep Safari and the JKU (and the LJ) have been camping in Death valley. The LJ has also done a little off-road in Alaska and about 500 miles off-pavement up there.

Since I'm a compulsive planner all of these trips are planned ahead of time in a lot of detail. I use a number of sources for planning these trips, and rely a lot on various trail guidebooks. Also Forest Service maps can be very helpful, and the MVUMs (Motor Vehicle Use Maps) can keep you out of trouble as they list places where one can drive and where one can't. These are available for a nominal fee at Forest Service Offices in the area you plan to explore. I got these two in the Montrose, Colorado office some years ago and I probably should get a new MVUM as they get updated with changes to areas available to motor vehicles. Many of the books I'll list here are available on Amazon and other new book sellers, but I've bought almost all of my collection on eBay and Thriftbooks.com, mostly for $10 or less.

MVUM.jpg

I usually bring the books for an area we're about to explore with me on the trip, but I only use them if I decide to go off-plan and take a trail that wasn't part of the original agenda. For the trails we plan, I scan the book pages for the trails and print them because it's much easier to have printed pages than to try to keep the book open to the right page on the trail, and it saves wear and tear on the book. I also put the GPS coordinates from the book into my GPS so I can use that to follow the trail.

Having the printouts and the GPS coordinates is a good idea even at an organized event like Easter Jeep Safari. One year we were on the Secret Spire trail following the trail leader and he got lost. He stopped the group to try to figure out the way. A BLM person at the back of the pack came up to see what was wrong and she didn't know the trail either. Luckily I had the coordinates and the printout with me so I led the trail for a few miles until we got back to somewhere the leader knew.

I don't just use these books to plan longer expeditions - if I'm driving through a state I'll see if there's a trail near my route and if I have time I'll explore it. In 2022 on my way to Las Vegas for the SEMA Show I explored the trail to the bottom of the Grand Canyon on the Havasupai Indian Reservation. I planned my drive through the state to allow about 5 hours to detour onto the trail and it was a great experience.

Another resource I use, usually just before we depart from NY State, is the Bushducks web site (http://www.bushducks.com/tripreps/passopen.htm). Especially if the trip is late spring or early fall, at Bushducks you can find out the status of most Colorado high pass trails - has the snow metled enough for a trail to be passable? Has an early snowfall made a trail impassible in the fall? Check Bushducks.

We're moving to a new state sometime in the first half of next year and I've been organizing everything for the move; the other day I organized all of the expedition planning resources and since they were all organized I took some photos and thought maybe sharing the list might help others, so here goes. I'll try to do this by state...

jscherb

Expedition Leader
Colorado

I've done more exploring in Colorado than any other state and I've got a pretty good collection for the state. This first photo shows trail guidebooks written by Peter Massey et. al., and those by Charles Wells from Funtreks. The large book at the top left is an early edition that covers most of the other regions but doesn't include as many trails as the region-specific books.

Colorado1.jpg

I've also got a number of other useful books for exploring Colorado. The Colorado 4-Wheel Drive Roads book at upper left has a lot of trails but it's not very well illustrated and the trail explanations are very brief, so it's not usually a go-to book for me. Jeep Trails to Colorado Ghost Towns is an older book (1963) but provides history and stories for each of the towns so it's very interesting for people like me who like to explore historic sites. The San Juan Triangle book isn't about trails at all; it mostly provides history about towns and ruins in the San Juan Triangle area (around Ouray and Silverton) so for explorers like me it provides great background information that makes the exploring more interesting. The routes in Colorado Byways and Backroads of Colorado are mostly paved, and since you can't go continuously off-road from one trail to another all the way around the state, the roads in these books provide scenic and interesting ways to get from trail to trail.

Colorado2.jpg

jscherb

Expedition Leader
California

There seem to be more books on California trails than any other state. Peter Massey et. al. have done no fewer than 7 - North Coast Region, Desert Region, Central Mountain Region, Northern Sierra Region, High Sierra Region, South Coast Region, and the larger Backcountry Adventures: Southern California (636 pages). Funtreks appears to have done only one - Guide to California Backroads and 4-Wheel Drive Trails - that's the book currently on their web site, I have a different edition which adds the word "Southern". It's dated 2003 so I suspect it's an earlier edition than the one currently on their site.

California1.jpg

Roger Mitchell and Loris Mitchell have done at least nine books on California trails, I've got five of them. The trail descriptions are very detailed and include historic information.

California2.jpg

There are also many other books on California trails available, many of them on the Mojave Desert and Death Valley, here are a few in my collection...

California3.jpg

I came across this book on California Ghost Town Trails the other day for $4 online so I ordered it. Since I like to explore historic sites, this book may be the basis of a future expedition. Hasn't arrived yet:

51YH33ZWW8L._SL350_.jpg

jscherb

Expedition Leader
Utah

Peter Massey et. al. have also done four books covering Utah: Southwest Region, Moab Region, Northern Utah and Central Utah. Two of the ones I have are older editions, there are newer editions that include additional trails. Funtreks offers A Guide to Moab, UT Backroads & 4-Wheel Drive Trails, which cover many of the trails used during Easter Jeep Safari. the trails used during Easter Jeep Safari. The later editions of the Funtreks books are spiral bound, which make them much easier to use on the trail, or to scan as I do.

utah.jpg

jscherb

Expedition Leader
Arizona

Peter Massey et. al. have done four books covering Utah: Northeast Region, West Region, South Region and Central Region. Funtreks offers A Guide to Arizona Backroads & 4-Wheel Drive Trails.

arizona.jpg

jscherb

Expedition Leader
Nevada

There are two books by Peter Massey et. al. that cover Nevada trails, Southern Region and Western Region.

nevada.jpg

One book I just found online and ordered is Nevada Ghost Town Trails by Mickey Broman. The description on Amazon:

This historical book offers an intriguing look at Nevada's legendary ghost towns. Includes black and white photos and maps with detailed mileage to 139 ghost towns in the great mining state of Nevada. Complete with detailed text, helpful maps, and illustrations throughout. This is the perfect book for anyone who wants to learn the fascinating and detailed history of Nevada's ghost towns.

I've ordered this one also (used a free book credit on Thriftbooks), so should get it in a week or so.

510bR4JwnqL._SL500_.jpg

jscherb

Expedition Leader
Montana

Willy Worthy, the author of The Jeep Bible along with Granville King, lives in Montana and has written three excellent books on Montana trails. They're available here: https://www.montana4x4trails.com/. I have all three books and while I have driven the LJ across Montana, I haven't done an offroad expedition there yet. With the help of Willie's books, I hope to someday.

montana.jpg

These are very well written books with plenty of photos and GPS coordinates; each book is over 200 pages long.

That's all for now, if anyone has additional books or resources that they think would be helpful to people please post them.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior