Owyhee Canyonlands Changes

There are currently two changes being proposed in congress for the Owyhee Canyonlands. The first changes the Wilderness Study Areas. Some of the areas will removed from the WSA designation (orange slashed on the map) and others changed to wilderness (brown on the map). More info can be found at Wild Owyhee.

The second creates the Owyhee Canyonlands National Monument. From what I have been told by the Oregon Natural Desert Association the monument boundaries will be approximately the same as the new wilderness designated areas (brown on the map). More info can be found at ONDA.

S.1890 Map 6.7.23.jpg

Pacific Northwest yetti

Expedition Medic
There are currently two changes being proposed in congress for the Owyhee Canyonlands. The first changes the Wilderness Study Areas. Some of the areas will removed from the WSA designation (orange slashed on the map) and others changed to wilderness (brown on the map). More info can be found at Wild Owyhee.

The second creates the Owyhee Canyonlands National Monument. From what I have been told by the Oregon Natural Desert Association the monument boundaries will be approximately the same as the new wilderness designated areas (brown on the map). More info can be found at ONDA.

View attachment 800951
Ill need to do more, research on this. But thanks for sharing.

Pacific Northwest yetti

Expedition Medic
I also posted this on the Sportsmobile and there were a couple of interesting and informative post from a couple of the guys that live in Boisie. Owyhee Canyonlands Changes
Thank you for the link, I also read through that thread.

I love that area, its possibly one of my favorite in Oregon.

It’s unfortunate, with LEOs spread so thin, and people seem, to not be willing to just be good humans. Stuff is getting destroyed.

Land being removed, does make me a bit nervous as to the validity of the lithium mine proposals rumors.

DirtWhiskey

Western Dirt Rat
These lithium mine and solar farm proposals are amazing to me. Destroy massive swaths of environmentally and culturally sensitive usually desert land. Draconian open pit mines, using huge amounts of water resources and all the attending poisoning of groundwater. Panels that are all made in China with hellscape levels of environmental ruin. Raw ores shipped to Canada for processing, foaming, then shipped across the oceans to China for assembly then shipped back to us, because remember we don't have an industrial production base any more. All without a clear accounting of total carbon inputs and no recycling regime on items that have a 20 year lifespan. All "for the Earth". We live in wild times indeed.

On the subject at hand, Owyhee/Brunea is a true national gem. I just wish they wouldn't ruin it with National Monument designation. It has protected nothing in southern Utah, but it has brought the hoards. Wrong solution.

Pacific Northwest yetti

Expedition Medic
Dont forget the windmills, with blades that have to be replaced every 10 years.....and have no way of recycling...

The world has some beautiful places, and I don’t have the answers…. But I will do my best to enjoy it responsibly until I can’t anymore.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior