Palomino Adventure

warejn

Observer
qa9ara7a.jpg

Here it is, found it on a fluke. I was looking at one that was total crap and this one popped up a mile away. 350.00 bucks later it was mine. It's in ok shape, canvas is good, the roof kinda looks like the ocean, a few small leaks, but all in all it seems good.
vedymuge.jpg

I built a platform so it would fit.
tuhydyge.jpg
a little saws all work for the fine tune.
jygaruma.jpg
I had to pick up a happy jack mounting system.
uduqupyb.jpg

Two days later a 1000 mile road trip around Colorado with the family.

Now the work will begin? SLO- f250's build was the motivation for this. I am terrible at posting updates but I am going to make an effort to keep it updated.

Today was a scrubbing day of the outside and canvas. It's drying tonight then a healthy dose of 303 tomorrow.

tanglefoot

ExPoseur
Nice find! Interesting that it has a Four Wheel Campers sticker on it. Could it have sold off FWC's original lot in Colorado? A trade-in?

warejn

Observer
Yes, I first saw that on CL and got a bit excited, then looked at the rest of the pics. I figured it was a trade in . ImageUploadedByTapatalk1381329742.898060.jpg

The first projects:

The roof is a mess, it is about an inch lower in the middle near the vent and a corner has been repaired like this!ImageUploadedByTapatalk1381329828.831490.jpgwe have had a little rain in the last month on the front range and there was only a small puddle on the inside near the corner. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1381329941.646932.jpg

The cab over section is a little droopy. It has a .25" of sag at the very end. I can push it back up. I am thinking of bracing it on the inside with a bit of aluminum that would run from the front to the window in the middle. The mounting area in the passenger side rear is toast, rotted and booted with a chunk of scrap wood. More aluminum I think.

Jacob

SLO_F-250

Explorer
Jacob,
Nice Find! You'll have it fixed up in no time. Happy to see my build was motivation for ya. :coffeedrink: Good luck and looking forward to seeing more!

LuckyDan

Adventurer
For a Palomino of that vintage it looks to be in fairly good shape. The corner caps used on the roofs of Palomino's and others like it are often either broken or missing and tough to find. I wish you well in your repair, referb and use.

Last edited:

warejn

Observer
This doesn't look like it had corner caps. It just had the aluminum skin. I think I may just add some aluminum angle to the back corners and call it good. Maybe a rebuild later but I want to use it before we are all totally snowed in.

warejn

Observer
It figures, snow has started to fall here. The last two days I have planned to work on it a few inches fell.

I now have a better plan. I figure I will start at the roof and work my way down. It is I worse shape than I thought. I found a wet spot in the cabinet above the sink. After some inspection, water is coming in from the edges. It has been happening for a while. The screws are rusted off.

I think I am going to cut some trusses for the roof and then coat it with some of the liquid RV roof coating. I had originally though about rebuilding the roof but I don't want to get into that this winter. As long as I can make it dry, strong enough for paddle boards and road worthy it will be fine for me. I will get some pics up this week.

Jacob

CaveRun_KY

warejn

Observer
yse9umab.jpg
2y7a8u2y.jpg

I took advantage of the kids nap time and sunny weather. The roof is " re screwed". You can see the standing water from the sagging area, I am going to try to get this fixed up later tonight.

warejn

Observer

warejn

Observer
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1383183920.876005.jpg

With all the crap weather I have been relegated to some inside work. I started tearing into the worst water damaged area on the passenger side, rear tie down point.

While it doesn't seem to leak anymore, the damage has been done. I am cutting out all the damaged parts, cutting a plywood filler and some aluminum for good measure.

Also the heater isn't working. I have a friend who is going to look at it and if it doesn't work , mr heater will be the next purchase.

Jacob

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Deleman