Parabolics on a 1980 Series 3 109

Snagger

Explorer
I have TIC (Heystee) stage II paras and have been very pleased with them. They're now 12 years old and still have their original shape. I did have some problems witht he spring eyes - one rear spring snapped an eye about 9 years ago, and I was sent a replacement leaf under warranty with no fuss. Apparently, TIC had a batch of slightly oversized bushes, and that put stress on the eyes of the affected springs. I recently have had problems with one of the rear springs losing its grip on its bushes, and it could be for the same reason (I'm not sure whther it was the spring with the replacement leaf or whether it's the spring with the original leaves). Polybushes have solved the problem, though I'm not a fan of unbonded bushes generally.

Body lean was only a problem with the roof rack fitted, but comfort was greatly enhanced. I'm sure standard springs wouldn't have lasted 12 years. I also have no vehicle lean when parked.

weatherm

Adventurer
Nick thanks... your always a inspiration to fixing up my rig. I just got a HUGE lot of rover crap .. extra parts and some cute bits that I'm dying to put on.

I want the springs for sure... maybe when we sell the wifes car I can go ahead and chunk another grand down on them :)

ShearPin

Adventurer
I've had an early set of TIC parabolics on my Series III SWB for 14 or 15 years as well. They were fairly new on the scene when I purchased but the research I did was all positive. When a friend went through his suspension with "genuine" from the big retailer in the US and it sagged badly within a month I went Parabolic. I opted for the two spring with a helper rear and the standard two leaf set up on the front. They've done their share of washboard and flexing with some good heavy loads. Coupled with Old Man Emu's I've been happy with the ride, stability, etc. While there is some sway during spirited, or outright emergency, cornering it feels controlled - normal for a suspension built to flex. I've never run a roof rack.

I did have a front spring break 5 years ago. The spring snapped at the bottom plate. I made some calls and heard this was a common fault with parabolics and also heard internet rumors of a bad TIC batch. I replaced the fronts with Rocky Mountains which have performed much the same.

The Alcan's are an interesting option. Depending on price I'd be tempted given the information on manufacturing and steel grade given in previous posts. Maybe we need to approach them for a forum buy :) While the Parabolic spring break I mentioned happened not far from home - the one Parabolic criticism I've heard over and over again is breaks aren't as simple to repair.

Henry
www.4x4freedom.com

Snagger

Explorer
I have seen horrifying photos of S-shaped parabolic springs that have been wrecked by axle-wrap, but that was on vehicles with modified engines and axles (spring over conversions or portal axles, which put a lot of extra strain on the springs).

RM springs have a good reputation over here, but we don't have many rock-crawling tracks in the UK so don't tend to push them to the limits as much as some of you folk, so they last longer anyway. The only RM spring failure I have heard of is a fellow club member that had the same corner go flat three times. This was a rear spring on a SII 88" trialler with a V8, RR axles and two leaf rear springs. RM replaced the spring three times without fuss, but finally stated that they believed there was a vehicle flaw that must be causing the fault for it to be the same corner failing each time. If you look at their literature, they also advise against 2-leaf rear springs, but will supply them if the customer is determined to have them for a soft-rate, compliant trialler.

To my knowledge, all brands of parabolics supply only two-leaf front springs, though TIC originally offered three-leaf. To be honest, I think Hesystee was wrong to remove the option - I could do with 3-leaf fronts due to the extra weight of the winch, wire rope, bonnet mounted spare wheel and pioneer tools, bull bar, steering guard, front fuel tanks, jackable sills and the extensive noise proofing.:Wow1:

I found that teh vehicle lean was uncomfortable at even moderate speeds on corners post-rebuild. It would have been a lot less without the roof rack and if I had kept the standard suspension geometry, but with the steel Brownchurch HD rack and 1-ton suspension setup, it rolled quite a lot. there was never any hit of it going over, but to make it more comfortable, I recently fitted the rear anti-roll bar from a SIIA ambulance. It works a treat - I still have compliant suspension but it no longer rolls uncomfortably. I may have lost some articulation, but I don't doo tracks rough enough to need full articulation anyway, and I think that the rear axle will still reach near-full articlualtion with the expedition weight and slow driving too, only restriction git when empty or driving too fast.

Last edited:

stevenmd

Expedition Leader
Why bother when there is an off the shelf replacement that is just as good? The originals were good because they used spring steel.

Point taken but it is my understanding that the parabolics will take away some of the stiffness, i.e., increase leaning in turning situations on the road. We have a family of 7 so the rover is usually packed, let alone we take anything along with us. "Rebuilding" the originals just might give us a better and safer ride on road trips.

RBBailey

Observer
I put them on my 88" with OME's. Granted, the stocks were pretty old when I switched them out; but really, the argument could be made that it rides ...almost... like a modern vehicle now. They really feel great. Just like advertised.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior