Pass thru window from cab questions

1000arms

I've used the Breezer Window in my F250..Worked great.
I've looked over their website a few different times. Thank you for posting how their products worked for you.
I would like a powered rear window like the old full sized station wagons had.
That could be quite useful. :)
I would prefer a wider opening myself, but needs and wants do vary. :) Are you familiar with the Breezer Window that Mike W mentioned? https://breezerwindows.com/

1000arms

It's a neat concept. Def one benefit of a van over a truck / camper combo is access to the driver compartment if need arises.

This would help solve that. I do recall years ago looking at a 70's GMC 3/4 ton with a sleeper.
The back window was removed so you could access the sleeper and I believe is was sealed with weather striping or something.

Kinda like this:
View attachment 770906

Not sure if a similar idea could work with a truck camper combo?

If the truck has a sunroof, this could work?

Another article on installing the above mentioned Breezer Window to use a camper passthrough:

There are some similar products sold today. Expensive for the (lack of) sleeping volume, but are used for meeting DOT requirements.

30 years ago, some truck cap dealers also sold cab-camper boots, but the boots aren't as common as they used to be. The curves common in truck rear windows today hasn't helped the situation. :(

A truck sunroof, depending on the user and on the size of the sunroof, might work very well for some people.

Windshields and (I believe) rear windows are part of the rollover protection, which I suspect has lead to tiny openings, or no openings, in truck rear windows. :(

I've thought about using aluminum to replace the rear truck window, thick enough to emulate the "protection" of the glass, with a large opening and a "lip" for securing an accordion boot to the aluminum.

Todd n Natalie

OverCamper
There are some similar products sold today. Expensive for the (lack of) sleeping volume, but are used for meeting DOT requirements.

30 years ago, some truck cap dealers also sold cab-camper boots, but the boots aren't as common as they used to be. The curves common in truck rear windows today hasn't helped the situation. :(

A truck sunroof, depending on the user and on the size of the sunroof, might work very well for some people.

Windshields and (I believe) rear windows are part of the rollover protection, which I suspect has lead to tiny openings, or no openings, in truck rear windows. :(

I've thought about using aluminum to replace the rear truck window, thick enough to emulate the "protection" of the glass, with a large opening and a "lip" for securing an accordion boot to the aluminum.
What happens if you own a tundra and rollover with the back window rolled down?

1000arms

What happens if you own a tundra and rollover with the back window rolled down?

My guess is that they built the cab to handle a rollover without relying on the rear window. ... I'd rather have the extra steel (or aluminum) needed for support in the cab, rather than hoping the cab glass is undamaged, especially if a vehicle rolls multiple times.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Smudge12