Pelican Alternatives?

alexfm

Explorer
I've been looking to add some Pelican cases to my collection of stuff, mostly to organize my camping gear (sleeping bags, blankets, tents, and maybe a kitchen). I already have one, not sure which model probably 1400 series (its small), that my dad got in a GSA lot that I've made into a first aid kit. My main issue is money. Pelicans are rather spendy. I dont have a problem saving up for them, but Im more of an instant gratification type person (stupid 18 yr old mind), and would like something sooner rather than later. I've replied to a couple craigslist ads already, but no guarantee there. Anywho, my question to you all is, are there any Pelican-esque alternatives out there? I'm not very excited about the Action Packers, as nice as they are, they're just not for me.

Thanks,

Alex.

PirateMcGee

Expedition Leader
I've found some heavy duty tubberware/storage containers at walmart that work fine for me....worth a shot since they're cheap.

nwoods

Expedition Leader
I got a couple of these from OTT recently. They are not completely bombproof as Pelicans, but they are pretty close, and much less expensive. No foam innards though. I use mine for recovery gear in one, and camera gear in the other (with foam salvaged from elsewhere)

Going considerably farther down the food chain from Pele's, have you looked at Action Packers from Rubbermaid?

theksmith

Explorer
look into SKB and SeaHorse brand as well... perhaps slightly cheaper than pelican.

also expand your used keyword search to include Hardigg and Storm (once a major competitor, but now owned by Pelican).

oh and Plano even makes a couple pistol cases that look like Pelicans (though nothing larger in that style).

alexfm

Explorer
Yea, I've looked into the Action Packers, but I dont really like them. They're nice, but I think the Pelican style of case is more modular. And I just like them better. I'll look into that link, and some of those other brands. Thanks for the help guys.

alexfm

Explorer
Cheapest options NEW that I've found:

20x12.25x7" with foam for $59.97
http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/CASE535-1.html

13x11x4" with foam for $19.97
http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/CASE537-1.html

Not terribly big. but hopefully they'll suit your needs...used SKB and SeaHorse cases seem to sell for much less than Pelican, very comparable cases.

Well, Im gonna order one of those $19.97, small cases. See how good it is. Depending on that, I may buy one of the bigger ones.

irish_11

Explorer
Personally I have been looking for used Pelicans. I like the options above too. I live within 40 miles of 3 major military installations and can find used one on CL for cheap(er). That might be an option too.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior