Picked this trailer up today for $400. I am super excited.

4runnerteq

Explorer
I have been wanting a M416 trailer for years and just wouldnt spend the coin. I dont need one at all. But anyway been wanting one. One of my neighbors is in to military vehicles and has one sitting in his front yard for about a year. Im guessing from the 1950s. He was outside Thursday and I stopped and asked where the best place to find one might be. He says to me "well a guy just tried to sell me another the other day for $400.: Really? Around here? He says yes about 2 miles up the road. I go that evening after work. No one home. Dont want to nose around with no one there. Go back today. Husband not home. Wife says,well if he does have one its down there in that lean to next to the barn.
m416024.jpg

m416022.jpg

m416021.jpg

Here she is in her new home
m416026.jpg

m416027.jpg

m416028.jpg

m416030.jpg

m416031.jpg

Now the first question. What do I need to do to get the lights to work with a 12 volt? Should I cut the harness and just get a regular trailer harness to add back? I feel like I got an awesome deal here.

Last edited:

4runnerteq

Explorer
And forgot to mention. The pintle hitch came along with it. Tires look good. No dry rot. Aired em up and headed to the car wash. Im lovin it

Ace Brown

Retired Ol’ Fart
Looks like a great deal. Over time I've owned two of those trailers and wish I had kept one of them.

Ace

jeepfreak81

Adventurer
The factory harness is heavy duty and the lights are connected with bullet connectors. I would keep it (I did on mine) You will need to change the front harness to a style you have on your vehicle, and the tail lights either will need Gamma Goat lenses or visibility and 12V bulbs, or swap them out. You could probably keep the stock lenses if you wanted, but IMO they are too hard to see.

For $400 that is an amazing score, it looks solid, complete, and not all banged up.

Matt

Adventurer
Looks like a great score!

The wiring harness on my trailer wasnt in the best shape so I rewired everything. The taillights were too rusty and corroded inside to save so I removed everything and installed new sockets. The gama goat lenses are the way to go with the full red lense! I just installed a set from Midwest Military.

Scrambler84

Observer
12 volt bulbs p/n 1156, mine had them in it, picked up my trailer today also, had to rewire mine with kit from tractor supply, had the plug and 20 ft of wire, was setup to Y and run 2 wires down either side. worked out great.

Vince1

Adventurer
That's a major score, congrats! You can just plug in 12v bulbs. I went all out and rewired my whole rig as I wanted feeds for e-brakes, refer, and other accessories all in one harness. What are your plans and how much originality you want to maintain? It looks like it had the original tires in the bed when you found it, but replacements were mounted.

bernd

Nice find. I paid the same for mine and I had to straighten one of the rails. Congrats. I rewired mine because I wanted led lights and I had the tub removed so it was an easy swap.

4runnerteq

Explorer
Yes on original tires. Guy wldnt let em go with the trailer though. I bought one of em for $10. May go back after the other 2. Not gonna do a whole lot for now. Get the lights working. Pack the bearings and either get a canvas cover or make a hard cover. Load my campin gear in it and hopefully use it some. Gotta figure out how to get it licensed. Doesnt have to be in Ky, but if I take it out of state that may be an issue. And planin to go to the N.C rallye next month. I have a title for an old Apache pop up camper that I gave someone years ago to make into a trailer. Its not right but I dnt think anything would ever come of it.

4runnerteq

Explorer
The guy I bought the trailer from has 2 spare wheels & tires I could pick up for $20 for the pair. Im guessin I should probably go ahead and get them?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mitch Bears