Picking a winch?

postalWagon

Adventurer
Desert Dan

What Vehicle are you putting it on??

Is weight or airflow an issue?
Both, the winch is going on my Jeep, which has a smaller radiator than some.
it doesn't run hot, but I don't want to lose any air flow.

Adventurer
Contactors, solenoids, and relays are WEAR items, and if in the proper use, 100% duty cycle.. they wear from the ON/OFF action, which causes arcing on EACH opening, and closing of the contacts, eventually, it wont hold... they also wear, from... INADEQUATE voltage on the switching side.... that would cause chattering, and premature failure. Even switches have a finite life span... depends on the use... I have come across contactors 20 years old, still looking new.. and replaced contactors that are 2 years old(VERY hard use, CONSTANT on and off cycling)... and typically, the higher the amp draw, the more carbon buildup and pitting on the contactors... eventually, they will weld closed...
Chase

HI Chase,
I don't mean to hyjack but I want to run this to ground.

Chase, I agree with everything you said but you really did not answer my question. I do understand how switches and contacts degrade. But there are many variables-the things that separate the men from the boys.

So, I'll ask again, differently. Given that my winch is probably used only a few times a year, are the switches and contacts in danger? They have not given any indications of problems. IOW, do you think that contacts should be treated like oil changes and be replaced on a schedule? Personally, I don't think so. I think it is entirely dependent on circumstances. In my experience in Jeep clubs and events I have never seen an 8274 fail. I have seen other winches fail.

Sparky

LR Max

Local Oaf
You won't lose any airflow unless you mount 3 2.5 ton truck winches on top of each other in front of your grille and fill in the gaps with foam sealant.

A 8274 isn't going to disrupt your airflow enough to make any kind of difference. By the time the air gets to the radiator, its back to laminar flow. Also you've got a fan that helps out a lot.

From what I've seen, the plain Warn M8000 is about the best for a Jeep (CJ, YJ, TJ). They are cheap, relatively fast and reliable. Bottom line, they just plain work. I will tell you that line speed is actually something you want. Many winches out there are slow and this can cause issues, especially when performing a full pull.

As for load draw, I wouldn't worry about it. I've got a Warn M12000 and YOU KNOW that sucker pulls some juice. I try to turn off most of my electrics, set the engine at 2500 RPM and then winch. Then I make sure not to shut off for about 5 minutes after the pull. If you do that with ANY winch, you won't have any power issues. With modern vehicles putting out 100 amps (or whatever) at idle and more than that at higher RPM, you shouldn't have an issue if you also turn off radio, wipers, lights, A/C, etc.

I haven't seen them in action but I'm hearing good things about Smittybilt (sp?). I haven't seen a darn good thing about Milemarker electric winches.

Antichrist

Expedition Leader
I will tell you that line speed is actually something you want. Many winches out there are slow and this can cause issues, especially when performing a full pull.
It's not something I particularly want.
In fact, there are quite a few people who recognize the additional safety margin you have with a slow winch.
I've never had an electric, hydraulic or PTO worm drive (typically the slowest type of gearing) winch cause any issues, short, long, light or heavy pull.

The only place a slow winch would be an issue that I can think of is if you're in a competition or traveling with impatient people.

postalWagon

Adventurer
a 8274 is WAY to much for my needs. Its a great winch, I wish I had gotten one for my FJ40. For what I am after a small form winch would be best.

Expedition Leader
HI All,
I assume from reading this thread that you all feel the original Warn switches and solenoids are not up to the task on the 8274 winch. They, from the posts, are unreliable, are not capable of 100% duty cycle, and should be replaced. Do I have this right?

You may not need or have to replace them, but solenoids do fail sometimes and the buss bars and connections get corroded. My 8274 was made in 1978 (you can tell exactly when from the "Date Code" on the top gear housing BTW) and though it ran in and out on a bench when I bought it, I didn't want to trust the 30+ year-old solenoids and wiring so after I re-built the mechanical parts of the winch I replaced the solenoid pack with a sealed Albright contactor.

IMG_0776.jpg

IMG_0781.jpg

jeepdreamer

Expedition Leader
For the 8274 check out Gigglepin (.com or . Net? Not sure, sorry). They make some sick upgrades for the best winch ever!!
If your not going that way and you plan to actually rely on the winch, i still say go Warn. That are not cheap but they have stuck to their guns for quality IMHO.

mrchips

Adventurer
I have a Warn 9.5 XP on my 06 LJ, I would not trade it for any other brand. I have used it and it has always exceeded my expectations. I firmly believe you get what you pay for and this is a quality winch.

Antichrist

Expedition Leader
So, I'll ask again, differently. Given that my winch is probably used only a few times a year, are the switches and contacts in danger? They have not given any indications of problems. IOW, do you think that contacts should be treated like oil changes and be replaced on a schedule? Personally, I don't think so. I think it is entirely dependent on circumstances. In my experience in Jeep clubs and events I have never seen an 8274 fail. I have seen other winches fail.
The solenoids have a finite, but variable life span.

If I needed to depend on my winch being able to function, I would keep at least one spare solenoid.
If running an Albright solenoid I'd carry a spare.
I'd also keep a spare Mom-on/Off/Mom-on toggle switch.

I've had 8274 motors burn up (my own fault for abusing it), solenoids die, toggle switch die and controller connector die.

The 8274, while being an excellent winch (I have 3). is far from the "best winch ever", which is very dependent on individual criteria.

LR Max

Local Oaf
I say pull your winch cable out all the way and do a full pull once a month. I was told this was good "winch maintenance". Makes sense really. Considering my rover is always difficult to get unstuck, I make sure that winch is in good shape!!

Been doing that ever since I had my motor rebuilt. That was 5 years ago. No winch problems.

DamMan

Observer
Good heavens,
I was hoping to find out if anybody had any experience with the aforementioned winches, not just the brand.
So, back to the topic, please.

I have the Warn 9.0RC and it is a great winch. Reliable, fast, modern solenoid and comes with synthetic rope. Only possible complaint might be the color......

postalWagon

Adventurer
Warn VR8000-S

Warn VR8000-S, seems a like a good option now.
It is lite ~62 lbs vs 85 lbs
more than enough pulling power
+it fits a standard winch plate+

now to get the wife on board and find a place they are in stock :smiley_drive:

BigSwede

The Credible Hulk
$429.99 at Amazon after rebate...and you can get free shipping. Hard to beat. Or get the M8000 for $60 more. I just ordered a M8000...merry Christmas to me!

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior