Pinz 712 Specs

ngclauson

Hey guys, new user here, I've been doing some searching on the 'net about Pinzgauer models, and I'm theorizing about converting a 712 (the 6x6) model into an expedition camper. I've found some specs for the 710 (4x4) model, but not much on the 712.

So, my questions are:

• What is the length of the bed of the vehicle? (essentially the length of the bench seats in the back)
  • What is the interior height of the vehicle? (from the floor of the bed to the roof)
  • What is the interior width of the vehicle? (including the wheel wells)

I hope someone on here might be an expert on this, maybe even have one themselves... any answers would be much appreciated. Thanks!

RMP&O

Expedition Leader
Been near 8yrs since I had my 712 but here is what I recall....

What is the length of the bed of the vehicle? (essentially the length of the bench seats in the back)

This I don't recall exactly, I am thinking though 12ft. A 712 is loooong.

What is the interior height of the vehicle? (from the floor of the bed to the roof)

Not much, even a short person has to bend over to move around in the back. So about 4ft if I recall right.

What is the interior width of the vehicle? (including the wheel wells)

Again, not much, maybe 3ft max between wheel wells.

I am puling all this out of my ******** from memory 8yrs ago. I have all the books on the Pinz somewhere but am to lazy to dig them out. Perhaps somebody who owns a 712 will give you exact specs, mine are not real far off though. Think VW bus on steroids. That is about what a Pinz is, perhaps even smaller due to mid engine vs rear engine. They are very narrow trucks, my 712 would fit on ATV trails no problem.

My questions to you would be, what do you want a 712 for? What are you going to do with it? What are you willing to put up with to own one? Are you ready to do your own work or pay over the top to have somebody do it for you? Do you like slow, loud trucks that are hard to heat?

The Pinz is a slow, loud, cramped military vehicle. It was designed very very well however. It will drive though deep ruts and mud no problems, it will climb slopes you wouldn't think a vehicle could climb. It will drive through 4ft of water no problem if you seal up the engine. it will take a dozer to get it unstuck when you bury it in deep, trust me I know this! The 712 handles pretty darn nice on pavement up to about 60mph, its max speed. It will also flop over on it's side easy due to narrow width and no axle travel. In this regard they really are hindered off-road. While not hard to work on it is technical and not for the average hobby mechanic. Parts are not cheap. Having said this, changing the clutch and dropping the transmission in mine was the easiest truck I have ever done it in. Axles on the other hand have two ring gears and the drive train is built on a central tube chassis, not for the weak mechanic!

A Pinz is a toy and should be treated and thought of as such. Just like your ski boat, snow mobiles, jet ski, or rock buggy. Very few people own them for more then a year or two after the "cool" factor wears off. Even less use them for overland travel and even less daily drive them. None the less it is a very well made truck that can be used to drive around the world, albeit very slow and noisy!

Cheers

Last edited:

6x6pinz

Adventurer
lots of information on the Real4x4 forum(http://real4x4forums.com/PinzgauerBBS/index.php) about them. While I don't completely agree with all RMP&O has said there is a lot of truth there. Most of the guys I know that have Pinzgauers average around seven years of ownership. A few have used them for expedition travels but not very many trips. As I live in a climate that does not require as much heat, the stock weak heater has not been a problem. there are some great options for heaters in these trucks. No getting around it WHEN you need parts they are readily available and are comparably priced to any automotive dealers prices. you do not have the option in most cases to run down to your local auto parts house (napa, oreilly's, autozone....) and pick them up.
The guys who have chosen to use them for expedition rigs seem to migrate towards the ambulance version of the 712. The inside dimensions of the ambulance are still not tall enough to stand up in for an average height person. The 712M has a bed of 10' in lenght, 5' 6" wide, and 4' 6" high at the bottom of the foot well.
I use my 712 as a daily driver, weekend offroad vehicle and the occasional expedition trip. Here is how I have mine set up.
http://smg.beta.photobucket.com/user/6x6pinz/library/pinzgauer/712 remodel

mog

Kodiak Buckaroo
So, my questions are:
  • What is the length of the bed of the vehicle? (essentially the length of the bench seats in the back)
  • What is the interior height of the vehicle? (from the floor of the bed to the roof)
  • What is the interior width of the vehicle? (including the wheel wells)
I hope someone on here might be an expert on this, maybe even have one themselves... any answers would be much appreciated. Thanks!

Below are the measurements for the 712 Ambulance box:
  • Length - 121 inches outside - - 119 inches inside (103" + 16" deep cabinets at the front)
  • Height – 68 inches outside - - 65.5 inches inside center (56" were benches are)
  • Width – 70 inches outside - - 68 inches inside (Footwell is 12" high and 31" wide).

ngclauson

Thanks everybody for all the info!

My main intent in owning a 712 would be to convert it fully into an expedition machine, not a daily driver really at all, and maybe a bit of short weekend trips. At the moment, this is all purely theoretical, because I have nowhere near the amount of cash I'd need to fork over to set my ideas up (or even to initially get the 712). Eventually it might end up looking something like this

http://www.4wdonline.com/Conv/Campers/PiCs37/Pin6x6.1998.jpg

or this

http://www.swissarmyvehicles.com/shfull.php?table=pics_vehicles&picid=64

Frankspinz

Adventurer
I have found a 712 with the ambulance box in good shape. I have also found a M-101 trailer 3/4 ton to go along with it ... Enough room to cram in all my worldly belongings and hit the road ! All for less than 20 000$ That's hard to beat ! Now I just need to find the 20 000 $ !!! :drool:

peneumbra

Explorer
I frankly wouldn't want to be watching pennies if I were attempting a project like this. I've seen some very nice 712s, but their owners have spent big bucks to get them that way...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior