Pivot Arm? Articulation for Solar Panel

texas4rnr

Hi! I am in the process with building my trailer and am brainstorming ideas of where to mount the solar panel. I have this idea to mount the panel to an articulating arm at the end of my tent rack for it to store out of the way when not in use and swing down and up (or out) when in use. I have tried to draw a picture with my idea but am at a loss of what to look for in a pivot joint that would ideally work for this.

I would mount it using maybe some angle iron making a frame for the panel. I have a bifacial so would like to keep the bottom open for residual power grab.
It would be even better if it could articulate left to right when "deployed" instead of it on one axis but wondering if I might be on track or off? Anyone have any insight on what search I might be looking for?
Sorry for my terrible drawing but I hope it conveys what I am trying to do. Thanks for any help you may be able to provide!

The dimensions/weight the arm needs to hold is approximately 32x72" and about 20-30 lbs.

texample.jpg

Last edited:

Ozarker

Pontoon Admiral
Simpler and more efficient if it slides out instead of swinging. If you have stuff piled up in the trailer you have less room for the panel to swing down then out. With the trailer full, the panel just slides out to be deployed.

There are tilting frames, kits, use one of those then put the base of that frame on slides.

MOAK

Adventurer
I gotta say, years ago I designed and built a hinged affair, complete with gas struts to deploy the 100 watt solar panel at about a 45d angle. Our entire set up is designed to park headed in a southerly direction in order to utilize the sun, and for shade. Our kitchen is in the rear of the trailer and has an awning. The big awning is on the driver side. The solar panel is aimed at the sun. The panel is now bolted fast with the nose flat on the racks and the rear lifted up 2” to serve as a wind deflector for the 6” boxes behind it. Why? No matter how well I had built the hinged system the wind and the washboard roads caused it to rattle incessantly. Now in addition to the fixed panel, I use an additional 125wt suitcase panel to chase the sun when we are unable to park facing a southerly direction. I recommend you affix the panel in a permanent position.

texas4rnr

I gotta say, years ago I designed and built a hinged affair, complete with gas struts to deploy the 100 watt solar panel at about a 45d angle. Our entire set up is designed to park headed in a southerly direction in order to utilize the sun, and for shade. Our kitchen is in the rear of the trailer and has an awning. The big awning is on the driver side. The solar panel is aimed at the sun. The panel is now bolted fast with the nose flat on the racks and the rear lifted up 2” to serve as a wind deflector for the 6” boxes behind it. Why? No matter how well I had built the hinged system the wind and the washboard roads caused it to rattle incessantly. Now in addition to the fixed panel, I use an additional 125wt suitcase panel to chase the sun when we are unable to park facing a southerly direction. I recommend you affix the panel in a permanent position.
Thank you for this insight!!!!

texas4rnr

Simpler and more efficient if it slides out instead of swinging. If you have stuff piled up in the trailer you have less room for the panel to swing down then out. With the trailer full, the panel just slides out to be deployed.

There are tilting frames, kits, use one of those then put the base of that frame on slides.
What kit are you speaking of for tilting frames ?? Thank you for the suggestion I like this !

dstefan

8020 has several different types of pivots that can articulate in different planes depending on how you set them up to work with the extrusions. not too expensive. I’m using several on my camper for different purposes, but not solar panels.

J!m

I suggest a rigid mount but with a twist.

When stowed, round bars welded to the panel frame are secured to the rack via u-bolts or similar. When deployed, drum hardware is used to clamp the panel bars to the roof rack as needed to catch sun.

I had my old panels spring mounted on my roof rack and they broke anyway… cheap panels in my case but solid fixing is the only way to go.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Deleman