Plastic vs. Metal Body Fridge/Freezer (i.e. ARB vs Edgestar Construction)

SnoViking

Adventurer
Hey all, Looking for some insight/experience.

What are the pros and cons of the plastic or metal fridge/freezer body construction. I'm not talking about compressors, or electronics, or warrenties. Just body.

Is there a big weight difference?

Insulation?

Durability?

Size?

I can see "theoretical" pros and cons but I'd like to hear some real world experiences.

Thanks!

BigSwede

The Credible Hulk
I have the plastic Engel 40 quart and I am very happy with it. I can't speak for other brands, but this plastic seems quite sturdy and durable, and of course won't dent like the stainless steel shells on the other ones. I think the weight difference is quite small really, the plastic is thicker than the stainless I am sure.

Scoutn79

Adventurer
I have a metal cased Engel MT43.
It has gotten dented over the years but not cracked. I bet the plastic cases would look better longer due to through color that won't change if scratched and don't dent as easily but the metal one won't crack if it takes a pointed hit. Of course the durability of the plastic cases is purely dependent on the TYPE of material used and since I have never dealt with the plastic ones I can't speak to that.
My Engel is jammed into the back of the truck and spends a good amount of time on the trails around Mab so it doesn't just sit in the back on nice smooth roads.
I imagine the move to plastic was due to cost.

Darrell

BigSwede

The Credible Hulk
I imagine the move to plastic was due to cost.

Darrell
Most of the Engels are still metal cased. Someone told me the plastic-cased MR040 (which I have) was aimed at the marine market, but that is just speculation I think.

ZMagic97

Explorer
I have the Edgestar FP430. The metal siding is pretty robust and easy to clean. I'm happy with it and feel noo need for plastic. However, I do not see plastic being bad. May be easy to chip and crack...but that's a guess based on my limited time around them.

Vanaroo

Observer
I have a plastic bodied Dometic/Waeco. No particular problems with it, although perhaps one slight negative is that because "they can" with plastic, the sides and top are slightly rounded. I'd like to add some rigid insulation (extruded polystyrene) to the outside, and straight sides would make it simpler. The metal ones look flat/straight in photos.

One of the big reasons I got the one I did was because I wanted one that opened "sideways" (like a regular cooler), not "longways." Just worked better for my space. Many/most seem to open the opposite way. I also wanted the Danfoss compressor. And I'm going to use it on a boat also, so metal would be a problem (given the metals they are made of).

For a land vehicle not spending too much time near the ocean, I'd prefer a metal body all else being equal. Since all else isn't equal, and since I also plan to use it aboard, I went for the one I have (plastic, hinges on long side).

rino

Supporting Sponsor - OK4WD
The current ARB fridges use a combination of aluminum sides and plastic top and bottom. I learned this while drilling the sides :) haha

4x4junkie

Explorer
Edgestar FP430 here...

No complaints at all, indeed the flat smooth metal (painted) sides & top are very easy to clean. I have picked up a few minor dents and a few abrasions (not going through the paint) from stuff rattling up against it, but nothing you can't see from more than a few feet away.
It also makes a convenient step-stool to climb up into the upper bunk of our motorhome (can the plastic ones tolerate standing on it with one foot? I've never tried... I'm about 200lbs).

I agree, it seems there wouldn't be much weight difference in the materials. Plastic would have to be much thicker to be of similar durability, so that would offset much of the weight savings. The FP430 feels like it's around 35-40lbs empty, but I'm just guessing (don't have a good scale on hand at the moment).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mitch Bears