Please help me get my van running again - crank but no start

yippee

Hello all. I have a little bit of an issue that I'm trying to figure out. I have a 1994 Econoline 150 w/ a 5.0 efi. I ended up getting laid off during the covid lockdowns, and ended up having to take a job making quit a bit less while starting over in a new field. That lead to me only renewing the registration on my daily driver and the van sitting. I was starting the van and driving it around ever so often. The battery was getting old anyways and eventually went dead. I've kind of lost track of time, but I'd probably say it has sat somewhere between 6 to 9 months at this point. I never meant to let it sit that long, but it has. I just started messing with it, trying to get it running and on the road again. I attempted to jump the van off tonight, thinking it was just a dead battery. It is turning over but will not start, where do I start? I know your basic components are air, fuel, and spark but where should I start on diagnosing the problem? I just closed it all back up until I had a better plan of attack on how to diagnose and where to go from there.

Thanks.

OverlandNA

Is it turning over fast enough? If the battery is shot it would be best to install a new one and clean the terminals before proceeding.
Any signs of a rodent making it's home in there?
Have fuel left in tank?
Turn key on without cranking it, hear fuel pump run? If not have someone crank it while you hit the bottom of tank. Starts -failing pump, no start/no noise check fuses and pump relay/connections. Check fuel pressure with gauge.
Check spark. No spark- check/clean connections on coil & TFI module. Check cap & rotor.

Last edited:

NevadaLover

Forking Icehole
Also make sure any ethanol added fuel hasn't turned to goo and plugged the fuel system, start with the filter and may have to check the injectors.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
guapstyle